Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Few quick questions

Sat at family movie time tonight and mentioned getting into astronomy eldest nephew says ( ive got a telescope upstairs)

low and behold he has this DSCF5127_zps91c40e32.jpg

he said it was a gift but could never work it out.

so i said ill give it a bash "how hard can it be" (Jeremy clarkson style)

I know its probably some cheapo scope, but am hoping to at least get a feel for it (got it for 7 days).

well after a epic journey home ive got it Sorta set up :icon_eek:

BUT :icon_geek:

few little questions

1. is their a specific way of lining up the view finder with the main view finder. so far ive tried at a light about 400 yards away (to no joy)

2. what lens i should use to line it up, it came with F=20MM F=9MM F=12.5MM F=4MM Plus a 3 x barlow lens

Any other tips and advice Gladly welcome.

Even if this week is spent me pulling out my hair trying to look at anything (its 1 week head start when i get a good scope)

so all :help: will be gratefully received. so long as its not PUT IT IN THE BIN and save what little hair i have left.

Cheers Tony

You have to take the scope outside and aim the main scope at something one or two miles away, and get it in the centre.

Then carefully adjust the finder so that the same thing is in the centre of view of that, go looking for all adjustment screws first, and nothing will move the way you want it to.

Best then to go back to the main scope and check that whatever you aim at is central still, recentre if it isn't - moved while playing with the finder, and readjust the finder.

Start with the longest eyepiece you have as that will have the widest view so makes getting anything in view easier.

After that, if it has gone well and you haven't torn your hair out and smashed the scope to bits drop a shorter focal length eyepiece in, would not suggewst the shortest, and basically repeat. Chances are you will have to refocus and this will move things a little.

Any chance of a few figures about the scope?

Diameter, focal length, basically anything. Is that symbol Bushnell ?

Nice start especially at the cost.

Just reead about the eyepieces, start with 20mm then the 12.5mm or 9mm if feeling brave.

In general think the 4mm will be too much for the scope, also 4mm are generally not worth the effort, I have one and believe me never used after the first attempt. Not sure about the 3x barlow, maybe OK with the 20mm, pushing your luck with the 12.5m and no use with the others is my expectation.

Hi fedster, I bought my daughter the EDU 70mm Refractor last Xmas. This was before finding this forum unfortunately. The mount is awful and the optics are nothing short of shocking. I got a 20mm and 4mm eye piece with the scope and a 3xbarlow.

The only thing you can focus on is the moon with the 20mm eye piece. I tried countless times to look at Jupiter but finally gave up months ago. I bought the scope from Toys R Us (yeah I know) :-) as my daughter was really interested in the sky. I think this scope has totally put her off though.

Anyway I hope the one you have there is better than the frac model, but on the bright side it can't be any worse. Oh yeah the finder scope is basically a toy and the fixings keep it aligned with the scope for about five minutes.

Sorry to be so down on these EDU scopes but I paid £70 for my daughters and its worth about £5. It's so bad I can't bring myself to sell it on to someone as it wouldn't be fair to them. :-)

thanks for the info on lining up the scope ronin.

And cheers Jay my nephew and Bil wanted me to set it up so they can use it at fisheries when their over night.

the scope am looking at is a Skywatcher Explorer 130M (EQ-2) for my first scope (just a little bit more saving before i get it)

ok so set up nice cloudless few hours.

so more questions :huh:

when i used the lens (you slot in) the f20 was perfect and 12.5 but the F=9MM F=4MM it seems that all i could see is the very edge of the scope )like a crescent moon

so How far do i push the lens into the the side of the scope (all the way till the metal slots in) or just part way in ? as 2 of them are really tight and 2 really loose.

I had an edu-science scope for my first about 5 years ago. It still at my dads and he uses it from time to time. 70mm with a focal length of 750mm so it was great for my first views of saturns rings and jupiters belts. However it was very difficult to follow an object and would always 'drop' down slightly when the scope had been lined up after letting go which was always fustrating. Having said that it lasted me until I bought an 80mm refractor, then a 127mak and now a 150p, all of these are a massive improvement :D

Im sure you will get the hang of it and hopefully you will have clear skies while you have it, but if you decide you want to get one, Id steer away from these toy shop models as for the same price you can usually get a decent scope from a reputable scope supplier.

Archived