Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Ghost of Jupiter

I went out tonigh with my HEQ5 synscan goto system and a Skywatcher 150 max pro maksutov cassegrain scope.

About 2 weeks ago I upgraded the handset firmware to 3.32. So tonight was the first night out with it and after polar aligning and

aligning with 3 stars I was doing a tour with the handset and it came up with "The ghost of Jupiter" I tried to go to it but it said it could not find it,

has any one else heard of it???? Also I was looking at Jupiter and I noticed what looked like a dark or black spot on one of the rings, it moved very slowly, I could see the 4 moons so I dont think it was one of them, could it be the red spot.

Cheers

I think the "Ghost of Jupiter" is a nebula also known as the Eye Nebula and catalogued as NGC 3242. It's in the constellation Hydra, a small object and around 9th magnitude so a small scope should show something on a dark night.

The black spot crossing Jupiter was the shadow of the moon Io.

Archived