NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My NEQ6 died tonight - Any ideas?

mytola

Been waiting ages for a clear weekend now, and half way into the first light session with my new atik 314, my mount decides to die! :mad:

The RA axis is just stuck when the clutch is engaged, making loud clicking sounds when attempting to slew. Sounds like something is slipping or jamming in there...It's only -3deg C outside, and I've had it out in a lot colder weather with no problems.

Anyone had similar issues with their mount?

Andreas,

The good news is that if the stepper motor is just stalling, no serious permanent damage is being done.

I would agree with Mike, that you most probably have a binding worm to ring engagement, or transfer gear. This could be due to a bit of debris, or a dry spot.

Astrobaby's pages may well help, and have a look at my eq6 tuning stuff here too. Although this will make more sense once you've seen the astrobaby guide. Mechanically, the eq6 is pretty basic, and you may well be able to solve this yourself.

Thanks for the replies!

After taking a look at the links, I think I've managed to narrow down the problem - It seems the RA stepper motor itself has failed, and it's just oscillating at the same spot when it gets power. Anyone has experience with fixing one of these? Don't know if it's possible. Maybe I have to look for a replacement..

Archived