Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Solar Digi-sketching

RikM

I had a bit of a play today.

I made a normal pencil sketch of the sunspots at 1pm today. This was using a TV Pronto 70/450, Baader film full aperture filter, a 10mm Pentax XW with a Baader solar continuum filter.

I replicated the sketch using Photoshop and tried to match the green of the solar continuum filter but couldn't quite get it right. Any tips here greatly appreciated. I use a stained glass filter to try and get the surface granulation.

med_gallery_5915_414_140810.jpg

That colour reminds me of some socks I used to have.... :icon_redface: hmmmm sorry about that I was typing out loud again :grin: .

Cant help you with the the colour Rik but is it actually that green visually with Baader solar film?

I'm gonna get my act together and order some I reckon. :)

With just the Baader film, no, it's white when you view it. The solar continuum filter peaks at 540 nm, which is right in the middle of the eye's green sensitivity. It gives a good contrast boost to the sunspots and white faculae.

The actual green when looking through the BSC filter is both a bit deeper and more vibrant than I managed but the hue is about right. It is the most striking green colour. My son calls it the 'astro-pea' filter. Good lunar detail filter too.

Archived