***Stuck at the first hurdle!!!***

Okay, I have my scope out of the box and set up as bet I can with the aweful instructions that came with it. I have a quick question.

How do I adjust the finder scope? It looks like the only thing I can do is move the barrel up and down the holder. There doesn't seem to be any way of moving it through its horizontal axis to make it match the view through the main scope.

The scope is a skywatcher skymax 127 on a synscan gto mount.

All speedy replies welcome. In the mean time, I'll continue to use the search function.

James

It is best to do this during the day.... Slew your scope to a distant object and then adjust the finder scope to match what's in the EP. I tried this at night the first time and it was nigh on impossible... Did it the next day in broad daylight and took 5 mins!

Hello there, i could say dont adjust..work with eyes on scope and skye alone..gets you with time better and better knwing youre scope and direction on sight..see as a triangle..eyes , scope, object....thats youre finder that triangle.

Just my thought as i never use any finder scope.

Smilezz.

S.J.

Hello there, i could say dont adjust..work with eyes on scope and skye alone..gets you with time better and better knwing youre scope and direction on sight..see as a triangle..eyes , scope, object....thats youre finder that triangle.

Just my thought as i never use any finder scope.

Yeah, but your's is a fast achro with a *wide* FOV, and his is a Maksutov at over twice the f/ ratio. I have a pet hate for finderscopes particularly the smaller ones. Perhaps the OP could try a Telrad or a Rigel Quickfinder for general aiming around the sky, then moving up on the magnification once the target is spotted.

Also, I set the finderscope during the day, pointing at a distant target like Rockrae suggested - it is nightmarish to try and merely adjust it in the dark, nevermind actually lining it up.

Yeah, but your's is a fast achro with a *wide* FOV, and his is a Maksutov at over twice the f/ ratio. I have a pet hate for finderscopes particularly the smaller ones. Perhaps the OP could try a Telrad or a Rigel Quickfinder for general aiming around the sky, then moving up on the magnification once the target is spotted.

Also, I set the finderscope during the day, pointing at a distant target like Rockrae suggested - it is nightmarish to try and merely adjust it in the dark, nevermind actually lining it up.

Youre right, i have a Mak and sometimes i try the Mak but just cant stick with it, Since day 1 i never used a finderscope, seemed to much work as i managed on sight a lot, also my Vixen has a hige finderscope field of view and still i see it only as in the way. The Mak would be much easier to spot with finder, now i think of it dont even know why i have a Mak hahaha...

S.J.

okay stupid moment over. Sorted out the aligning issue :) Managed to get Jupiter in the 10mm eye piece and could just about make out the bands :) Tried with the 2x Barlow and it was impossible, I think i need to align it more accurately, Its a pitty that now the skies have cleared jupiter is just going behind next doors tree >_<.

Thanks for the help :)

ps I think I also need to find a more comfortable way to view through the scope.

okay stupid moment over. Sorted out the aligning issue :) Managed to get Jupiter in the 10mm eye piece and could just about make out the bands :) Tried with the 2x Barlow and it was impossible, I think i need to align it more accurately, Its a pitty that now the skies have cleared jupiter is just going behind next doors tree >_<.

Thanks for the help :)

ps I think I also need to find a more comfortable way to view through the scope.

More comfortable way to view? I assume youre standing, or like some lie on the ground hahahah, i finally went to a chair and sooo much more relaxing, till i get up and forget how close in the dark i am under the scope and almost knock all over, at least bumped my head 3 times in row.. :laugh:

S.J.

Archived