Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Same objective, dimmer image?

Jedite83

I have been using a pair of 7x35's for a while (have had them sense I was a kid) and just got a pair of Celestron Upclose G2 16x62. I took them out tonight and was looking at Jupiter, Orion and M-45 and while I liked that the image was bigger it seemed dimmer.

Dose the additional magnification affect the brightness, or is it the slight size difference.

Thanks,

Jedite83

Yes, you are collecting much the same quantity of light but putting what you have collected in to a bigger image, so that image is dimmer. Good old birdwatching 8x42's are probably the best overall choce which is I suppose why they are the main ones used by the millions of birdwatchers.

I have assumed the subject title is correct as the binocular specifications are not consistant with the title. Guessing that the 16x62's are a typo ?

As far as I am aware, Celestron do a 16x32, but not a 16x62. Assuming you have the 16x32, they are dim for at least two reasons: one is that a 32mm objective collects less light than the 35mm; the other is the reason cited by ronin. Depending on the quality of the 7x35 you have, a possible 3rd reason is that the 16x32 has a lower transmission factor.

Archived