Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Input on possible choices

Ok, so time to churn out some hard earned money on new glass. I've taken a VERY long time going through a decision process that takes my individual requirements into consideration. I've narrowed it down to these 4 options (each from a different dealer).

Can you guys give me some input on your experiences with these particular telescopes? They are all refractors (I've excluded newtonians and Maks for other reasons), and all somewhat similar, except for the first, which is slower and on an EQ mount:

1. Celestron Omni XLT120

2. Orion 120/600 refractor on an AZ4 mount

3. Celestron Nexstar 102 Alt-Az w/ Go-to

4. Skywatcher 102/500 refractor on an AZ4 mount

Now, I don't much care about the GoTo, I can find my own way around (it's more than half the fun). The tracking, even with rotation is a nice feature though. They are on a sort of preference list, with no. 1 & 2 tied for the lead :)

I know about CA, I know how faster fracs suffer more from it and require better EP, and for now I'll just use my adapted webcam for photos (no DSLR for now). I don't particularly care for an EQ mount, especially if unsuitable for AP. I do care about getting outside and watching quickly, and having a scope that can handle very marked temperature differences quickly. I have as dark a sky as you can wish for, except for summertime (Mountainous area with very low moisture. Plagued with forest fires in the summer, sadly).

They all cost pretty much the same, so please, may I have some feedback on these?

Thanks,

- Tiago

Cel​estron Omni XLT120 will see more and be better colour corrected. better on planets and you can always motorise the mount at a later date that gets my vote. Having said that the orion is a lot quicker to set up. It's just the ca thing for me that swings it It's a personal thing but it annoys me and the xlt 120 has less. That's why I would choose the xlt 120

• 3 weeks later...

Just had first light on my Orion f/5 120mm scope. Despite some light pollution and skies nowhere near as dark as last week (thay you, friendly astronomy dealer, for screwing up putting my order together and delaying first light for 8 days), I had a 2 hour long blast before I decided it was best not to endure mild hypothermia on the first night out with the new scope.

Awesome sights on a lot of objects

I would go for the Celestron Omni XL120 , a great all round scope with very good optics and mount . More light gathering by far than the 2 -102mm scopes and way better colour correction than the 120/600 orion .

My 5c worth .

Oh yes I had one years ago and still regret selling it on . A nice scope .

Brian.

Archived