Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Balancing - Essential?

Hi guys,

Just a quick question - is balancing an essential part of observing for a Newtonian telescope or is it just a safety precaution?

My scope doesn't flop about on the mount when the ascension/declination clutches are released, so I can't use

(Youtube) to balance the scope.

The scope moves easily on the mount when unlocked, but it has to be pushed. I'm guessing that it will loosen up over time though.

I have a "EQ3-2 Deluxe Equatorial Mount" with a Skywatcher Explorer 150P.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Hi, you really just need to get the tube balanced in the rings, and also make sure that the weights are balanced with the tube. The reason for this is mainly so that the scope doesn't swing downwards and hit the legs of the mount, or topple over. Balancing also makes using the scope easier. I'm not sure what you mean by your scope doesn't flop about? but this could suggest that the scope is reasonably well balanced. You do need to push the scope, or use the slo-mo controls to move it, so that's normal. Sounds like you are close enough!

By 'flop about', I mean that it doesn't swing around easily, like the guy's in the video. However, his scope is obviously much heavier than mine (200p).

I should probably add that I've yet to use the scope for observing (too many clouds!) , so I'm a bit ignorant towards most of the basics!

Thanks for the advice! :)

In that vid the guy has purposefully unbalanced the scope to show what happens if it is unbalanced. It sounds like yours may be balanced ok. But I'd make sure both clutches are completely disengaged and balance it round both axis as per the video instruction.

Ah, no. If I unlock all the clutches, the scope moves easily. However, I can leave it unlocked at any angle without fear of it toppling over.

I think, in hindsight, it may already be balanced, hence my difficulties trying to balance a scope that doesn't need it!

Archived