NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Will HEQ5 make EQ5 redundant?

adrianelliott

I currently have a EQ5 mount (no motors).

I have an immediate need for tracking capability, but I think that it is likely I will move up to an HEQ5 mount within the next 6 months or so.

Am I wasting my money investing in tracking motors for the EQ5? Could it have any role after my life after I buy an HEQ5, or are they similar enough in size and weight that I'd always just choose to grab the HEQ?

Thanks!

If you were getting an NEQ6, and didn't need to sell the EQ5, I'd say keep it. It may come in handy as a more portable mount, certainly more portable than NEQ6. But the HEQ5 is a lot lighter than an NEQ6, which makes it more portable as well. I sold my EQ5 Pro when I got my NEQ6, and there have been occasions when the lighter mount would have been useful option to have ....

This one is difficult, because EQ5 has two advantages over the HEQ5.

1. Portability and 2. Can be operated without power.

I found the second criteria is quite important for a grab and go. I sold my EQ4 after I got a GPDX with GOTO (Roughly equivalent HEQ5 in weight and capacity), but ended up getting a GP2 not long after because I found I missed the set up speed of a simple mount with dual axis motor and manual slow motion. If you consider portability remember a HEQ5 needs a heavy 12V power tank, while a EQ5 with simple motors can run on AA batteries.

With last years weather, I found I use the dual axis GP far more often than the GOTO GPDX.

I started with an EQ5 and then upgraded to an HEQ5 on a pier in my observatory). I kept the EQ5 and now use it ona semi-portable mount with dual axis drive motors. Normally it is used for Solar work in the winter (when the Sun is too low to see from by observatory due to trees) and I intend to use it for some wide field work with a DSLR and camera lens - if only the skies would clear.

I would suggest going directly for the HEQ5 (or an EQ6) and keeping the EQ5 - it will come in useful and motors can always be added later if you feel the need for them. As a bonus the EQ5 and HEQ5 fit on exactly the same tripod/pier top.

Hi All,

Thanks for your feedback, I hadn't thought at all about the power pack vs batteries angle nor the point about the build in motors! It looks like my EQ5 has a future - this is great because it saves me the hassle of selling and I do find the mount easy to manage and set up.

I think it will be a case of buying the HEQ5 when one pops up near me at the right price and in the meantime adding the drives to the EQ5.

Cheers!

I was on the same boat, i upgraded tp the heq5 pro and still have my eq5. I tried to sell it and was getting stupid offers for it. I decided to hold on to it even if i never use it again it will be a great for my son to learn on when hes older. They are a great mount for starting out and they can be used for imaging aswell by adding motors and o now have a spare tripod if anything happens to one so i would hold on to it if you dont need the cash from it

I have made a mini powerpack for my EQ5 (remember it is 6 volts not 12v!!!!) by buying a 6v 4Ah lead acid battery and charger for around £20. This works out much cheaper than buying "D" cells, 4 at a time, after every few sessions!

Yes the EQ5 motors is indeed 6V.

My GP2 has Vixen motors (12V) which can run on 8 rechargable AAs can last 6-10hrs.

Archived