Please help, advice needed...

Hi all,

I want to get some advice just to be sure about my buying plan. I had my NEQ6 for about 2 months now and the time to buy a new OTA is comming near. In general I have two short questions, but let me first say what actually is my buying plan. SW Quattro 10" f/4 OTA, mainly for imaging purposes ofcourse with from time to time visual use.

So, because the quattro has 1000mm FL and because some of the objects still come out small (I use a Canon 1000D), I was wondering if imaging DSO with a barlow makes any sense? A 2x/3x or even 5x barlow would help me image smaller galaxies as well. Or should I just crop the images taken at 1000mm-thus having less detail?

The other question is about the coma corrector. I'm planing to buy the SW CC which has a sweet spot at f/5 (the new SW CC for f/4 is 200pounds, which is just too much:/ ). Does going with the barlow increase the f ratio as well? For instance if i exaggerate and put a 5x barlow, does this make the sistem f/20 ??? And if this is true, is it still necesery to use the CC ?? Or at f/8 ( 2x barlow) ??

Please help, any advice will be welcome...

You could if its getting the object a bit is something you want go for a 250PDS which gives a longer FL 1200mm F4.7 and assuming your Quattro is the steel type save £125, next would be a CCD which while not having the Mega pixels they do have enough and will fill the image quite nicely....Barlows i believe are not a piece of kit many AP uses would use....

Actually I'm going for the CF tube not the steel kind... Just want to decrease weight + avoid focusing every hour or so in the spring/autumn nights when the temp is changing at a fast rate when the night falls. The 1000mm is the one i chose because of a fast f ratio, going for the 1200mm would make almost no difference. If attaching a barlow doesn't sound like common sense, I'll just have to except the 1000mm limit...

Barlows to image NO, what you want is a decent 80mm scope if its imaging you after ,I have a cf 5" frac it makes no diference to the focus even on my old steel tube dob did not need to be re focused ? The extremes would have to be massive to effect focus cf scope look good and work well a cf 250 would cost loads ,and you still need a guide scope or a OAG and guide camera a feel the 200p cf would be a fair penny out your budget

pat

I would gladly agree with you Tod, but people have been giving me the creeps that a fast scope as this one surely is shows any kind of small irregularity in focus/collimation. Collimation doesnt concern me, but focus - i admit it does...

Damn, can't seem to figure out how to edit a post. Anyway - is there any other positive sides in the CF other than temp flex and weight?

I suspect that editing is restricted until you have a certain number of posts - I can't do it either.

He only thing with fast newt are collimating. It as to be spot on other than that I can not see what a cf tube will do part from dent your wallet and or ya pride if I had the chance again I would not buy a cf one

go for it and you can tell us first hand if its any good

pat

Archived