Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Manfrotto 501 HDV

Damo636

Hi guys. Does anyone use this head with 15x70 bins and how well does it perform? I'm interested in how well the altitude friction works as the angle of incline increases. The Horizon 8115 I currently use is not that effective from 50- 60° and beyond. It works, but the altitude tension has to be tightened down so tight, it makes the whole experience feel like more work than it ought to be! The 501 I believe has some sort of spring loaded counterbalance system and I'm curious as to how well it works.

Cheers

I have the older 501 and it is fine with my Helios Apollo 15x70. I can adjust the tension so that there is no slippage even when aimed near the zenith, but I can still smoothly change the altitude. The only "issue" with the 501 is that it has to be used reversed if you want to observe above 60°(I wouldn't, at least not without angled eyepieces), because it is nominally -90° to +60°, and this causes the handle to be in the way of the QR plate release catch and/or the altitude lock (but, since I use neither whilst observing....) -- the handle could go on the other side so as to foul the altitude tension and QR plate lock -- now that would be royally irritating! Some pics about half-way down this page.

Thanks Steve, good feedback. I don't have any aspirations of viewing at the zenith or anywhere near it, but the 501 sounds like it would at least be able to hold the Apollo securely at 60°+ without having to have the alt tension vice like tight!

I use a 501 with 25X100 chinese bino and it works. It is a bit too heavy but steady enough.

I think it should be far enough for a 15X70.

A 128RC could work. (i used one with my older 20X90)

Archived