Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen VMC110L for AP?

Welrod50

Hello all,

Having had some input from Steve at FLO who kindly answered some questions for me, I am about to purchase a Vixen VMC110L to possibly replace my SW 130 for observing and AP. However, before doing so I wonder if anyone here has any experience of brighter DSO astrophotography with this scope? At 1035mm focal length and f9.4 with flip mirror, it seems an attractive proposition for planetary AP aswell as clusters and brighter DSO's - unless anyone has differing experience?

All thoughts most welcome :)

Hi Scott,

Seems to be mixed reviews with a few comments regarding soft focus at higher mags. For the price it seems a nice scope, the reviews are at http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/4802995/Main/2596077 and if you havent seen them. maybe someone will chip in who has used one for imaging planets etc.

Thanks Phil.

I went on and bought the scope from FLO late last night so I will have a crack myself in due course and see how it performs. To be fair, I see no reason why it should not do well at sensible mags for observing and at 1035mm should fit M45 in nicely at prime focus. I'm hoping the flip mirror system simplifies this as I had a go at M42 the other night, afocal with DSLR through the SW 130 and it didn't go too well.

Cheers!

I will. Although it may be a while what with work, cloud and snowstorms. Also will need to have a play when it first arrives to get used to it for first couple of sessions I reckon. Been reading numerous reviews and I think the main issue is collimating it - seems a bit hit and miss for collimation out of the box by the looks of it. Fingers crossed :undecided:

If all goes to plan though, I should have a brilliant little imaging/viewing instrument which is half the weight and a third the size of the SW 130 and will allow the EQ3 to track better.

Watch this space :) ................

Somewhere in those reviews it was mentioned about a mod using rubber washers to aid collimation although no details were given. I know what you mean about the clouds, I have just got an Evostar 120 off FLO and its champing at the bit to be used!

Archived