SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cumbrian nights

leighelkins

Hi all, seems there isn't much in the way of activity in Cumbria so I may be talking to myself here, but, with months to plan (as there is no way I am camping out in this weather!) I was thinking about spending a night camping on Piel Island (Barrow-in-Furness) later in the year. The only artificial light is from the (great) pub, it's very cheap (if not free) to camp. It's not exactly miles out into the sea, but it has enough of a buffer that it should be a pretty dark sky. Anyway, as said, I'm thinking a few months down the line. Any who would be interested feel free to join in.

Sounds good. I'm pretty sure there is chef work coming up from time to time, especially if you're willing to travel into the lakes.

I'll let you know how it goes, even so im up there alot regardless so let me know what your plans are nearer the date.

• 1 month later...

If your in the furness area I why not try the Duddon valley. Specifically, if you want to camp, try Turner Hall, the Newfield inn is only a short walk away as well - I would suspect that the skies here will be darker (though you are surrounded by fells somewhat), i suspect even on Piel Island the lights of Barrow may interfere - but I may be wrong not been to piel whilst having star gazing on my mind.

Archived