NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

As I had a lie in this morning after the effects of a night on the beer watching rugby, I was browsing a certain Celestial Handbook and came across U Cephei as a possible target. This, for the uninitiated of you, is a highly variable star which dims a lot quite quickly. With my imaging cap on, it seems likely that an AVI taken over a couple of hours could show this variability. One frame every minute or so could work well.

So now, to the questions.

I'm wondering if this particular star is the best (as in easiest) candidate for this project as I'm sure there are shorter period variable stars and there could easily be variables with a bigger range of variability.

Once the target is chosen, following advice which could be received, is there a resource which I could access which would indicate the time of the drop in brightness so that I can be set up at the correct time?

Kaptain Klevtsov

Algol is a great target. Large range, short period. You can access resources from www.aavso.com, or Google your own BAA. There's a gentleman here that does extensive photometric photometry on Algol, and when I say here, I mean right here in Phoenix.

The only problem you may come across is Algol is very bright for a CCD, (which is why a more primitive photometer is typically used), and may be difficult to get short enough exposures.

I find it more fun to watch than to image, but that's just the way I'm built. 8)

Thanks guys, Algol can go on the list as well, with its legendary status, and the dimming bit, 2.1 to 3.3 sounds like it'll show up.

Well now, mine goes from 6.8 to 8.2 in magnitude. I'm assuming that it has a bigger range of brightness, as the numbers are further apart? Starts dimmer (easier for imaging) and gets dimmer still, with a bigger range. I'll just have to try both and see what happens I suppose.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Well they are spooky Tony. You don't have to touch them to play them. :smiley:

Indeed, we had one at the studio I used to run. We had it converted to run over MIDI so we could have a bit more control over it should we wish to and 'tis a classic sound. A bit like the Nintendo Wii 50 years too early.

Anyways, enough of my thread hijacking Yaaaar!!!

Tony..

• 3 months later...

HI

Algol is refered to as the winking demon.....must be a UK thing :shock:

Also have a go at RZ Cas.

Not much of a major mag range but it does go through cycle in only 1.1 days :-)

Why not use this http://www.aavso.org/vsx/ to search for more variables and also heres the link in the VSX for RZ Cas

http://www.aavso.org/vsx/index.php?view=detail.top&oid=6348

Hope this all helps

Dave

Archived