Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

DSLR settings for deep sky

Hi all. I wonder if anyone could give me some advice on the above. I have a Cannon 1100 and a Skywatcher 200P. So ok, in Manual mode, I understand BULB, ISO, RAW. But can anyone tell me what AWB, Auto Lighting Exposure and Aperture settings would be best?

Thanks for all/any advice.

Dave.

If your attaching to a scope then the camera aperture is irrelevant, otherwise try as wide open as you lens allows to experiment, then stop down a stop or two after. When attached to a scope the scope becomes your lens.

AWB and Auto Lighting, IMO don't really matter and you can keep them on auto and 9 times out of 10 it will be ok.

Just remember, simply speaking, your exposure time will be limited to your mounts tracking accuracy and whether its guided.

HTH

i use bulb setting, iso 800 and raw. nothing else. but am only a newbie, so someone else may have more info :) thats for DSO's length of exposure depends on guiding mount etc.

Velvet

I agree with Velvet; what software are you using for capture?

If you are just using the canon software I would recommend APT.

Archived