Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A very lucky image of Moon and Jupiter snapped using an iPhone

DarrenG

I received a Nexstar 130SLT for Christmas and had my first opportunity to use it on 27th Dec. It's my first ever telescope so I tried to capture some images through the eyepiece using an iPhone 5.

As I now know, this is far from easy and the results were rubbish although I did manage one decent one of the Moon.

I only recently had the chance to take a closer look at that image on my laptop and was surprised to find Jupiter lurking in the background. Not only that, its four moons were all visible and even some feint banding.

Needless to say, this was that one in a million chance shot, I hadn't realised Jupiter was there, the moon in the foreground ensured that Jupiter wasn't blown out, and I've tried since and managed nothing anywhere near as good.

I only had the 25mm & 9mm stock EP's at the time but can't recall which one I used, presumably it had to be the 25mm to get the full moon in frame?

8363102092_7b21e3339a_o.jpg

Well, took my camera out and pointed it at Jupiter, put it on full zoom and held it steady on a tripod resting on a fence - pretty [removed word] image compared to most on here but I guess not bad considering it was a rushed job leaning on a fence with a standard camera? Not sure if the dot's are some of the moons, te Stellarium put Europa in the exact position that the right hand spec is on the image, but can it really be Europa that I have managed to snap with my hand held cam?

1567er9.jpg

2en4yg3.png

Archived