NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

m42

freeflyjay

Just been out for a couple of hours, first time in about 2 months due to the weather, quite a good short session, added a couple of messiers, m36 and 37 (m37 is quite nice though the 10" dob), saw a really bright meteor close to gemini and another nice view of jupiter, once orion had got high enough above my shed to allow me to view, thought i`d revisit m42 as not been able to see it since i first got my scope back in feburary, got a great view and could make out a bit of colour, i was looking at the central stars, now i thought there were supposed to be 3, but the bottom left one (as seen though the dob) seems to have a companion (quite hard to make out) is this a double star, or have i just discovered a newly formed star in the nebula.

I've just got in from a session on M42 and saw ABCD easily but it was E and F I was after. Thought I got a hint of them at different times but no clear cut observations. This was with the 4". Good views of the nebulosity.

Rest of time spent on M1, 35, 36, 37, 38 and NGC 1647. And Jupiter, of course.

Archived