NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Webcam settings questions.

Hello,

*Touch Wood* the weather looks like I'll have a shot at Saturn tomorrow, although my faith in weather forecasts is dead.

Anyway I've realised that after waiting so long I'm not sure how many times I will be able to have a go at Saturn so I'm asking for some advice on a couple of the camera/webcam settings:

I use a Point grey firefly monochrome camera and flycap 2 software.

1. Currently I use "Pixel / Resolution format" Y8. This allows me to shoot up to 60fps. However I can also set it to Y16 (16 bit i assume), which limits me to 30fps. Would 30fps and Y16 be the way to go or is Y8 and up to 60fps better?

2. Also I currently don't use the histogram, I just sort of judge it by eye. However I had a sneaky look at it with Jupiter. On the y axis is percentage and the x axis a load of very large numbers. On Jupiter the other day it was peaking around 50% on the y axis, a very sharp peak. This about right? I've heard more than 50% but surely this will introduce a lot of noise?

Thanks,

Dan

Archived