NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Vixen GP-DX GEM

enigma

Does anyone know for sure if the Vixen GP-DX GEM is compatible with the SkyWatcher 1.75" steel tripod (the one with the fixed alignment peg) and if can accept SkyWatcher EQ-5 dual axis motor drives or even the GOTO upgrade kit?

I am pretty sure they are the same , as skywatcher copied Vixen's design right down to the dovetails . The only SW mount thats different is the EQ6 , its bigger , probably on par with the Spinx mount ? ( the only Vixen mount I aint played with yet ) , but up to the HEQ5's they are all the same . EQ3-heq5 in SW and Polaris-Great Polaris DX in Vixen .

Brian.

, Oh I forgot , I have an HEQ5 , had an EQ5 and EQ3(CG4) now have a Vixen super polaris , and have had a Vixen great polaris ( should never have sold this one , sweet mount's )in the past , and these all were inter changeable with one another on various mounts . Hope this helps .

Brian.

The GP-DX is a big step up from an EQ5 - in terms of capacity and in terms of accuracy of its gears. The synscan goto kit will fit on the GP-DX. Oh, and I'll second what was said above about Vixen motors - they purr sweetly and are solidly built. I currently have the DK-3 clones on my GP and they keep Jupiter steady on my 1/3" webcam chip for as long as you like, even when imaging at 5 metre FL.

I can't comment on the tripod fitting, I'm afraid.

• 2 weeks later...

Update - I've now got the Skysensor drive system on my GPDX, and it chatters in quite a friendly way, even when just tracking! It allows you to set the max slew speed at anywhere up to 2000x sidereal, so it's fast and still quieter than I ever managed to get the synscan to be.

Does anyone know for sure if the Vixen GP-DX GEM is compatible with the SkyWatcher 1.75" steel tripod (the one with the fixed alignment peg) and if can accept SkyWatcher EQ-5 dual axis motor drives or even the GOTO upgrade kit?

All Vixen GPDX and GP will accept with Skywatcher EQ5 tripod. After all the EQ5 is a GP clone.

Most GP2 and GPD2 are also compatible, but the most recently one switched from GP60 to GP45 connection. Mounts that have GP45 connection needs an adapter to fit in EQ5 or older GP60 tripod. IMHO, GP60 is a much better because there are more third party tripod and pier option than GP45.

The switch happened last year in Japan, I don't know whether Vixen UK has switched to GP45 or still selling their old stock with GP60.

GP60 was the standard for GP, while GP45 is the standard used by Sphinx. I have no idea why Vixen made the switched to GP45 with the Sphinx, probably their marketing department have too much time and not much common sense.

Compared to the SkyWatcher EQ5 how does the GP-DX rate?

As mentioned, the GPDX is a significant step up in capacity and accuracy. While the GPDX and GP looks similar on the outside, they are significantly different on the inside. The GPDX is more than twice the weight of the GP with a 40% greater load capacity. If I remember correctly GPDX/D2 have a quoted periodic error of + 10 arc seconds.

The EQ5 is more similar to the GP (because that's where it cloned from), but the GP have better mechanics than the EQ5. In terms of capability, the GPDX is more similar to the HEQ5, but more flexible in terms of accessories and drive option. You can fit manual slow motion knob and use it without power, simple single or dual axis drive for tracking, or full blown GOTO system (there is a dozen options).

The switch happened last year in Japan, I don't know whether Vixen UK has switched to GP45 or still selling their old stock with GP60.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply Keith. To answer your question, yes, we do carry the 45mm base versions of the GP and GPD2 mount - the 60mm versions are no longer in production. I believe the main reason for the different mounting foot on the SX-series was to accommodate the slightly different altitude adjustment system (the adjustment screw resides within the foot rather than above it as with the GP series).

We also have small quantities of both the 60mm-45mm and 45mm-60mm adaptors in stock so any head can be put on any mount.

Cheers, Pete

Archived