SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hinode,s 4 month X-ray sun animation

Solar B

Are the bright bits Sunspots ? and the dark Coronal holes ??

Cool animation though :lol:

Good Questions...........i hav,nt a clue :D

Your quite right...the bright areas are active regions above spots that are flaring.

I don,t think the dark regions are Coronal holes but merely less active areas.

Brian

The dark regions are indeed coronal holes. Bright regions are active, whether there are sunspots there or not. They are essentially magnetic storms on the surface.

In some of the frames, you can see loops of plasma curling up and back into the Sun. When these break away from the magnetic fields constraining them, they can fly off as a coronal mass ejection, especially when they occur near a coronal hole. There's one such place in this animation, but I didn't see any CME. This time. :shock:

The thing is that Coronal holes are normally only present at the poles during Min.....and there are lots on the movie.

Brian

Since when? They are normally smaller, but they can appear anywhere. Besides, we're past minimum and on our way back up, however slowly.

The thing is that Coronal holes are normally only present at the poles during Min.....and there are lots on the movie.

Brian

Since when? They are normally smaller, but they can appear anywhere. Besides, we're past minimum and on our way back up, however slowly.

http://cfa-www.harvard.edu/~scranmer/Preprints/eaaa_holes.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_hole

Aye but we hav,nt started cycle 24 yet !

Darren i think the images in Sunshine looked better but they were fake. :smiley: Brian

I agree Astroman......they are normally found at the poles during min......but not always......and to be honest i thought they were only ever found at the poles because they are a permanent fixture there.......i saw that Nasa bulletin last year.....but to the best of my knowledge that is the only spot that has been observed with a reversed magnetic polarity.......as SC24 has not begun yet......it is expected to commence around March 08.......predicitions for SC24s magnitude vary greatly from an active one of (140+or-20) to a moderate cycle of (90+or-10) but how active the sun will be during the next cycle is anyone,s guess.......i,ve got my fingers crossed for an active one...... :smiley:

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/SolarCycle/SC24/index.html Brian

Archived