Hello from Sussex Coast

Radscanner

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a fantastic welcome! Thank you all. I feel at home already. Yes I see that aperture is (nearly) everything, which leads me to a possible 150/200 Skywatcher Explorer Reflector as the best value to aperture ratio - and if I dispense with the goto maybe added dual motors will do the trick. Am I right to guess that once aligned with an object the added motors will track as well as the more expensive goto system?

Hi,

I stumbled across this excellent site while surfing for a new telescope. I live on the coast so light pollution is not too bad. Returning to stargazing after many years, I've done exhaustive, and exhausting, research about which new scope to buy (my current scope is a cheap, shaky, item from Jessops. I'm torn between an Equitorial Mount + goto against a more simple setup. I hanker after a skywatcher 200p with SynScan but maybe a simpler 130 mm scope would be easier to use. I'm trying to find the stargazer member's second hand scope/equipment for sale forum but it doesn't seem obvious. Could someone please direct me if there is such a forum? Thank you.

Hi i had also done much research myself.

We went to the Astronomy festival at Herstmonceux in September, where we were introduced to Neil from Astronomia in Dorking,

had a long chat in the dark were he was helping a couple who had a 200P on tracking mount.

Spent the next hour or so with them very helpfull also.

Purchased a SW200P on EQ5 mount from Astronomia , wasn't sure how much i would use it. Upgrading to EQ5 Pro Synscan this week, the stars or rather the earth move very quickly at high magnification.

They are very helpfull and offer a full price trade in if you upgrade within a year. http://astronomia.co.uk/index.php/

Hi i had also done much research myself.

We went to the Astronomy festival at Herstmonceux in September, where we were introduced to Neil from Astronomia in Dorking,

had a long chat in the dark were he was helping a couple who had a 200P on tracking mount.

Spent the next hour or so with them very helpfull also.

Purchased a SW200P on EQ5 mount from Astronomia , wasn't sure how much i would use it. Upgrading to EQ5 Pro Synscan this week, the stars or rather the earth move very quickly at high magnification.

They are very helpfull and offer a full price trade in if you upgrade within a year. http://astronomia.co.uk/index.php/

That's useful info. Thanks. I had noticed that adding a goto later is much more expensive than buying with goto included from the outset. That sounds a reasonable offer from Astronomia. Better still would be a discount for an upgrade if you show evidence of a prior purchase of the 200p, as that saves you sending a scope back with the risk of damage or claims that the first scope was mishandled.

Hi me again try and find a star gassing live event this weekend or next , near to you where you will find many helpfull people who will give you more advice. You will also be able to try out the different scopes. If you get to one early. I mean in daylight while they are setting up you will be able to see the gear. The skywatcher 200p I bought looked a lot bigger in daylight! The link for bbc stargazing live page put in your postcode http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b019h4g8

Archived