Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jovian glare & colour filters?

smoothound54

Hi folks

I find the glare from Jupiter makes it difficult to see detail - there is lots of flaring around the edge if I move my eye slightly - and loads of image retention on my retina which confuses things - its very hard to keep a steady gaze going for more than a few seconds (maybe its my lack of experience)

I tried a variable polarising filter - but this did not really help as i had to dim it down so much that the detail suffered

from reading posts - I understand that colour filters are mainly aimed at imaging? - but is it worth buying a colour filter to help reduce glare without losing detail?

If so what colours would you suggest?

cheers

alan

I own 4 color filters- #25 Red, #80A Bue, #58 Green and #15 Yellow. They all have their own unique purposes and all help tease out little details that would otherwise be lost in glare or low contrast areas. The blue is best for bringing out red cloud bands on Jupiter and red for the martian surface.

I would recommend the Blue for Jupiter, but I have used a 13% transmission filter on Jupiter and it blocked out the glare quite a bit but changed colors around a bit. The red clouds became brown and the whiter areas became yellowish.

With your variable polarizing filter, what is the range of transmission?

What magnification were you using ? (I know nothing about using filters for planets)

hi perrin - the mag varies on conditions anywhere from around 70 to 180 - I find around 110-140ish is most reliable

tried 180+ but it never seems to render more detail

cheers

Al

I own 4 color filters- #25 Red, #80A Bue, #58 Green and #15 Yellow. They all have their own unique purposes and all help tease out little details that would otherwise be lost in glare or low contrast areas. The blue is best for bringing out red cloud bands on Jupiter and red for the martian surface.

I would recommend the Blue for Jupiter, but I have used a 13% transmission filter on Jupiter and it blocked out the glare quite a bit but changed colors around a bit. The red clouds became brown and the whiter areas became yellowish.

With your variable polarizing filter, what is the range of transmission?

thanks for the info Josh - I think I will purchase a lighter blue - and see how that goes

the polarising filter is variable so it goes from very little (almost opaque) to amost 100% transmission - but when set for sufficient dimming detail is deffo lost

cheers

al

Archived