Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Iris Nebula LBN 487

nytecam

Another shot from Dec 29 eg Iris reflection nebula in Cepheus under near full moon - a search of my last Iris pic with same setup/ exposure and no moonlight was over 2yrs ago is essentially identical and included here for comparison ! So on this occasion moonlight had little effect on the result - note the cam, as usual, returned to same position for same orientation :cool:

post-21003-0-72331600-1356989872_thumb.j

post-21003-0-49249700-1356989930_thumb.j

Could you give a few more capture details? If you tried to go at all deep on this object the absence of moonlight would be absolutely essential since it's a reflection nebula. I'm not really sure what conclusion you are drawing from this comparison.

Olly

Could you give a few more capture details? If you tried to go at all deep on this object the absence of moonlight would be absolutely essential since it's a reflection nebula. I'm not really sure what conclusion you are drawing from this comparison.

Olly

All the data you require is on the images which in itself is a novelty for this forum - can't add more. Perhaps you've forgotten or never experience real LP - all that I'm stating is that here, the bright moon has little additional effect on normal LP as demoed via the two Iris shots and unlike yourself and Gina [noted elsewhere] I image whenever clear irrespective of moonlight.

I make no pretense that my modest efforts are any match for the long /inordinately long exposures normal in modern day imaging and often it seems with small aperture scopes. I'm happy with my snapshots as I've been for over a decade even if they don't appeal to you. I don't subscribe to the notion that DSO imaging is the exclusive domain of those under perfect skies - live and let live. :cool:

Archived