NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Need help with finding planets on Celestron Astromaster 130EQ

Hi guys :)

I have recently bought a 130EQ and am really struggling with finding ways to capture the planets. I have no problem with finding the moon (obviously because it is so close) but I have read the manual a thousand times and researched online and cannot find answers as to how to punch in coordinates into my telescope. I have a manual which tells me the exact place where planets are at what time, and at what location for each day but I have no idea how to apply these numbers to my scope.

They're such things as Venus: "20,00,19; 19, 12, 24" and so I am guessing that these numbers are for the telescopes with electronic remotes attached to them?

Basically I am asking how I can use these coordinates to find planets or any other way that I can find them.

Please, please help me, I would appreciate it more than anyone could imagine.

Thank you so much! :):)

Venus is a morning object at present, it comes into view when the sun comes up, same with Saturn.

Mars is somewhere that I suspect is not visible at night, as in the other side of the sun.

Jupiter is about the only convenient one at the present time, well to us here anyway, not sure of Aus.

The scope you state does not seem to have a handset so not sure how you intend to get coordinates in

Are you assuming that all the planets are visible all the time?

If so then they are not.

As planets move I cannot see how one set of coordinates define them.

The idea being you align/set the scope to the coordinates defined using the setting circles and the object should be in view, relies on accurately aligning the mount. However most just point the scope at the planet and find it that way.

I also own an AstroMaster 130 EQ and am not aware of any handset that can be used to find objects. The only thing I have seen that comes anywhere near this is the simple RA motor that can be attached ( which is so crude I had to design my own replacement :grin: ).

The figures you have quoted probably represent Right Ascension and Declination of the object ( in this case Venus ) which are the co-ordinates of where the object can be found in the sky relative to the First Point of Aries and the Celestial Equator. Unless you have a goto handset then these are almost meaningless to you. Some might say that you should use the setting circles of the 'scope, but these require setting up themselves, a procedure that I find very tedious and not very rewarding.

The best way to find the objects you are looking for is to consult either a sky atlas, or a programme for your PC such as Stellarium or Kstars ( my favourite as I run Linux ) and then use this to find your way around the night sky. It takes some time to learn where everything is ( and you will have different skies to me as you are on the other side of the planet ) but the rewards are more than worth it. When you can stand outside and just point your 'scope to the area an object is in without consulting any sky maps or goto you will find a lot more.......... :grin: :grin: :grin:

Hope this helps....

Agreed, if you download Stellarium, tell it your location, and it will show you a fairly realistic view of the sky and label what planets are visible for you. At the moment Jupiter will be the main one to look at, with Saturn visible in the early morning.

One thing that I might add here is have you still got the stock viewfinder that came with the scope? If so, that isnt helping because it is worse than useless. Get yourself a better finder, I also have this scope and quickly bought a telrad. You will find this much easier to use and is simple to install.

Next maybe consider buying a decent secondhand 10 mm EP. The one that it came with is not very good and finally after installing stelarium, get a copy of sky and telescope sky atlas to use when outdoors. This is quite a cheap but excellent aid.

Baz

Hi guys :)

I have recently bought a 130EQ and am really struggling with finding ways to capture the planets. I have no problem with finding the moon (obviously because it is so close) but I have read the manual a thousand times and researched online and cannot find answers as to how to punch in coordinates into my telescope. I have a manual which tells me the exact place where planets are at what time, and at what location for each day but I have no idea how to apply these numbers to my scope.

They're such things as Venus: "20,00,19; 19, 12, 24" and so I am guessing that these numbers are for the telescopes with electronic remotes attached to them?

Basically I am asking how I can use these coordinates to find planets or any other way that I can find them.

Please, please help me, I would appreciate it more than anyone could imagine.

Thank you so much! :) :)

Hello :)

Planets (especially the brightest ones such as Venus, Jupiter, Mars, Saturn) stand out very well in the sky when they are visible so it can be pretty easy to locate them.

As others suggested, locate them first on a computer program (Like Stellarium, which is free of charge) and then just point the scope at them (as you would do with the moon). You can refer to the nearby stars as shown in the program to understand which area of sky you need.

Make sure the finderscope is properly aligned (you can point it at a roof, a tree or an tv aerial in daylight to see if it's centered, adjust it as needed).

Use a low magnification eyepiece to make it easier to center the object in the field of view; basically, you won't need to worry about how to use those numbers you found in your guide :cool: You will see that catching Jupiter (or even Venus) in your EP's field of view is pretty easy.

Else, just point your scope at any bright object you see in the Sky and find out yourself whether it's a planet or not :p That's how I found Venus, Saturn and Jupiter long time ago; very rewarding and probably easier / quicker then properly setting the EQ mount and accurately adjusting RA and DEC :)

Hope this helps! Let us know how you get on with that.

Do not hesitate to ask, if you have any further question :alien:

Clear Skies

Archived