Film, Nostaligia for the Light.

ollypenrice

This film by Patricio Guzman was a christmas present which we watched last night. It's a strange mixture bound together by the Atacama desert, where it's set, as it unites two disparate groups. There are the astronomers who work at the great telescopes searching the past for its cosmological secrets, and the women still painstakingly sifting the desert in search of those killed by the torturer Pinochet. There is no plot but many magical images and interviews with those engaged in their respective searches. Astronomy as redemption runs through the whole film. The desert is incredibly beautiful, I place I would love to visit and observe the sky.

Well, the torturer is gone and soon the last of his former friends will be gone too.

Olly

Never ever forgive or forget the torturer's English friend.

"Friend" Olly? I don't think that was the case.

Desperate times and the burdon of responsibility for the protection of British lives at the very limit of the reach of our military. Such were the circumstances that forced the unsavoury alliance. The 'English friend' made unpalatable and seemingly unconscionable decisions, but they saved British lives and prevented an embarrasing defeat in a war that we really couldn't afford to lose.

I'm about 25min into the film. Great images and scenery, but unfortunately my eyes are saying time for bed.

I’ll watch the rest tomorrow. Wish I’d kept up my Spanish at school now.

Please don't let this get political, it will make a good review thread if not closed to soon. :sad:

Please don't let this get political, it will make a good review thread if not closed to soon. :sad:

Quite right Freff. I allowed the emotion of those memories to get the better of me for a moment. My apologies to you, and to Olly.

The film certainly has many very good reviews. It looks to be well worth a look.

Quite right Freff. I allowed the emotion of those memories to get the better of me for a moment. My apologies to you, and to Olly.

The film certainly has many very good reviews. It looks to be well worth a look.

No need to apologise my friend, I was a serving soldier at the time and know only to well the emotions for some still run raw.

Archived