NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion StarShoot Solar System Color Imager IV (SSCI)

Josh Wilson

For Christmas, I got the SSCI and I couldn't wait to use it. Last night, the clouds cleared up and I set up the scope outside. After cooling and when it was dark enough, I got the camera set up. I pointed it at the moon to get the focus right and it was overexposed. I went to go turn down the brightness via the exposure and before I could get to it, it automatically dimmed down. Not good. I went to go change the exposure to see if I could take it off Auto. Nope. The Auto checkbox is grayed out.

Once I got the scope focused, I pointed it at Jupiter. Once again it was overexposed. I waited for the camera to react and dim down the brightness, but nothing changed. I tried changing it manually, which is possible, but still automatically changes when I point it at the moon. I could only see the bands of Jupiter when I put down the exposure to 0 and the image dimmed down slowly but the bands were only visible for a second before the image went dark. I put the exposure at 4 and Jupiter appears, but again overexposed.

I chatted with Orion and they wanted a step by step procedure of what I did. I gave them that but they haven't replied to my email just yet. I'm pretty sure I did nothing wrong.

Please help, I have no idea what is wrong.

Thanks in advance

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I did actually. It turned out I was over exposing Jupiter the whole time and I needed to put the exposure bar down to at least 4 to get the image at the right brightness. I also needed to turn the gamma up all the way. I have been getting very good images of Jupiter and I plan (on a morning I'm not tired, which is rare these days) to get out and image Saturn. Here's my latest Jupiters:

post-25144-0-69887000-1357429103_thumb.p

post-25144-0-90009100-1357429162_thumb.p

Josh

• 2 weeks later...

Josh, great pictures! Interestingly I found this post searching for 'overexposed orion starshoot'! By the looks of it I have a very similar (current) set up to you (Orion xt8i, Starshoot, etc) but I do most stuff with a DSLR. I forgot I had the Starshoot in the cupboard and thought I'd give it a go but after 2 hours of trying last night (first clear night in ages!) i just got overexposure after overexposure. If I set the res to be 1280x1024 then I get Jupiter as a big white ball joined with 4 white spots! No matter how much I fiddled with the Gamma and brightness I simply couldn't get anything other than a completely white disc.

Any other ideas as to what I'm messing up?

I forgot that you also need to turn the gamma up all the way or it is still overexposed no matter what you set the exposure to.

Thanks Josh, I think that might be the bit that I'm missing - I'll definitely give that a try next time I'm out - sadly its now snowing here so that may not be for a while!

Archived