Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

APT settings for the moon?

Astro_king

It can depend on things like aparture and focallength etc - for my 120mm refractor f/l 900mm and a Canon 1100D I would start with ISO 200 and 1/2500 sec and go from there. The good thing about digital cameras is you can experiment easily. If anything go for "dim" rather than "bright" in you image as you can always tweak a dim image but with over-exposure you will not be able to regain any parts of the image that are saturated (pure white). Secondly try taking lots of exposures and stacking them - you'll be surprised at the overall improvement in your final image.

TIP: Use JPEG rather than RAW - technically all wrong but far easier to use when starting out.

Many thanks for the info.. I tried photographing last night but the conditions were bad with clouds etc it wasn't ideal but I couldn't see anything at 1/1000... The least I could do was 1/250. That said I took loads of pictures and will stack them now. Only backdrop is that I never changed the ISO from 100 onwards.. Rookie mistake I suppose. I was in a mixup anyway but I will try stacking those images together now and see how it goes :)

Archived