Viewing Sunspots through a pin hole camera?

I've had this long tube in the back garden for a while now and only recently have I decided to do anything with it. I've decided that I'm going to cover one end with foil or something, then pick a pin in it, so that an image of the sun can be projected onto a screen at the back.

Its essentially a long pinhole camera. However, with no transits or eclipses coming up, the only thing I'd be able to view is sunspots, but would I be able to see them using a pinhole camera?

Possibly. Definitely worth a try at any rate - the thing that got me into astronomy in the first place was watching the Transit of Venus through a shoe box pinhole camera.

Larger sunspot groups might be visible but you might find that getting enough contrast is an issue. Still - for the price of some tin foil and some baking paper for the other end, it's got to be worth a shot. Good luck and do report back!

In essence yes is the answer , but I'd recommend getting a sheet of Baader ND5.0 Solar film and Making a proper solar filter for your scope.

http://www.firstligh...film-nd-50.html

You'll get much more satisfying views this way ,

Steve.

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

I am considering purchasing some of the solar filter, its just a matter of money for me. I did some calculations a while back before the transit and its more expensive sheet for sheet than gold leaf.

The pinhole tube thing is more of a DIY thing. I'd like to be able to see some sunspots and be able to say 'I built that' or 'I made seeing this possible'. I think it'd be a better feeling personally.

I'll keep you all posted on what I do.

Possibly. Definitely worth a try at any rate - the thing that got me into astronomy in the first place was watching the Transit of Venus through a shoe box pinhole camera.

Larger sunspot groups might be visible but you might find that getting enough contrast is an issue. Still - for the price of some tin foil and some baking paper for the other end, it's got to be worth a shot. Good luck and do report back!

Thanks hunterknox for your reply.

I will be sure to let you know how I get on with the little project.

You might like to watch

video which although intended for use during a solar eclipse, can also be used to view the sun at any time. I guess using a longer tube will help project a larger image than that seen with a shoe box but the idea of a viewing window to one side could also apply to your tube too. One technique I use to align a suitably protected scope in the precise direction of the sun, is to place a small bit of card over the front end of the scope (...or tube in your case) with a matchstick standing proud at its centre, rather like a miniature sun dial. You know when the scope is on target when there ceases to be a shadow emerging from the bottom of the matchstick and this can only occur if the scope (tube) is directly aligned with the sun. Certainly a lot easier than squinting at the sun whilst trying to sight its direction along the length of the tube.

James

I've done this successfully in the past but you need a fairly large sunspot for it to be visible and don't expect to see any real detail. It might be worth trying a piece of tracing paper over the bottom end of the tube so that you can view it from there. :smiley:

As others have said, the short answer is "yes". However, you should also make some hood for the viewing end (a hoodie hood pulled forward over your head ans cinched around the tube with the drawcord, or a foot or some sort of tube extension so that the screen is 30cm or so down the tube will do). The issue that most people underestimate is image scale of the Sun -- it's just under a centimetre per metre separation of pinhole and screen.

Archived