NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

not sure what to do next

Just stack the subs you have at the moment. Don't worry about darks, bias and flats they can come later. Get use to DSS, stacking and editing I.e. stretching curves, levels etc. Once you are comfortable you can then add darks, once comfortable again you can think about flats

baby steps :D its quite a steep curve you've embarked on.

just doing it now. 25 pics stacking, using recommended settings, no darks or anything else. will post a post-stack image

Good work. That's the best way IMO, just dive straight in, mix it all up and see what comes out.

hmmmmm.... in im experience dss normally produces a desaturated image (mono) and then you re-introduce the colour later...

feel free to e-mail me the raw file and ill have a look if you like

MOD EDIT - I've removed the email address to prevent any unscrupulous behaviour taking advantage of this offer for help.

hey tom, Ive not really been able to add to the image although you have captured a fair amount of star light.

The Gradient is caused by light pollution, probably from a near by town, light pollution can be really tricky to deal with.

At one of my location that seem pretty dark, down by a reservoir, the sky is just full of stars and the nearest town is 10miles away, but it still works its way into my shots :(

any ways, wheres my attempt

post-23525-0-15917000-1355648592_thumb.j

Certainly potential there. I always find the finished stacks in DSS are grey and flat. I mess about with the sliders but read somewhere it is better to process in something like Photoshop rather than DSS. That way you can stretch the curves with better control.

Make a duplicate layer.

Use noise filter to get rid of all the stars in the new layer.

Make it 50% transparent.

Invert the colour of the new layer.

Merge the two layers.

Use levels to adjust the black point of the resulting image just to the left of the peak, which will now be near the middle of the histogram.

That should produce something reasonably acceptable.

It's a bit of a harsh method of removing gradients, but its good for starting you off.

Hope that helps.

You'll get mush better results if you do it all from a raw image, or better still a stacked TIF.

If you want to adjust the brightness levels, curves is always the best method giving you far more flexibility.

Dave

Archived