NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Never thought I'd be glad it was raining...!

Helen

We went round to some friends for dinner last night. When they came to see us a few months ago it was clear and we set my Nexstar 8 up. We managed to just catch Saturn before it set and then went walkabout on the moon. They said at the time they enjoyed it, but I didn't expect them to be still talking about it months later :lol: So when we arranged last night I said I would take my scope if there was a chance it would be clear... unfortuantely :lol: :lol: drizzle, so no scope. It proved to be just as well, as it might have been a bit of a let down... Julian had been telling his mates that he'd seen saturn's rings, and the mountains and craters on the moon, and that if it was clear and I brought my scope he'd ring them to come and see for themselves. Given Saturn's rising time and a new moon it could have been a bit embarassing :D But I've promised Julian a call next time it looks good for either these targets - and I might educate him to rave over a few more objects too!

And the other up-side, he's offering to help with pier fabrication and guide rings and mounting rails :D Hopefully it will be sunny when I visit his engineering workshop and I'll be able to introduce him to the sun - he'll love that I'm sure!

Helen

Well it all appears to have worked out Helen, but even if the weather had been good, I am sure you would have found some alternatives to the moon and Saturn to keep the wow factor alive in your friends. Especially Julian if has the means to make that hardware for you.

I have decided to make my own scope rings and rail + counter weight gear, having scouted around for prices, it's frightening. But having said that, machine time is expensive, and a fair amount of time is required machining some of this stuff.

Cheers.

Ron.

Archived