Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Success and failure

jason.p

We've had three perfect nights in a row which is a first for me. I managed to get a few hours in despite sub zero temperatures.

Sunday night I spent time on Jupiter which is really a must. Then I had a look around Orion and managed to pick out M43. Moved on to Sigma Orionis and managed to separate the three main elements. (I'm fairly sure I got Struve 761, I'll have to go back to confirm).

Monday night I found the Crab and two of the Auriga clusters. I'm not entirely sure which two they were, probably 36 and 37, again I'll have to go back to get all three and be sure.

Then last night I'd got it all planned to go back to Orion and Auriga and to try and see the GRS (should have been visible just after 6pm). I had good views of Jupiter but no spot (have to try some filters). After that despite clear skies I couldn't find a thing, not even M42. I did manage to find Andromeda (eventually), which I've always managed easily before. I'm sure the trouble was freezing dew which I just couldn't clear.

Oh well, two out of three can't be bad. Looks like that's the last of the clear skies for a while.

Jason

Forgot to mention. The crescent moon rising with Venus on Tues morning, a really stunning sight. I also managed my first "scope" view of Saturn which although probably not in it's best position gave me one of those little "wow" moments.

Archived