Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendations please

Stevp

Good evening all,

I'm just doing my first research in to what binoculars to buy and I would appreciate any sort of nudge in the right direction.

I know what I'm after, I think. I'm mainly after some bins for handhold rather than tripod, that's not to say they might not ocassionally land up on the tripod, but for the most part I don't expect they will. I've currently got some 8x42 (Opticron Countryman 8x42 WA if that means anything to anyone, I think they're getting on for 10years old now) which I can handle quite well, so I think I'm looking to get some 10x50. I understand from my reading so far that that size is about the largest suitable for holding and anything bigger really needs a tripod to get the benfit.

I've been having a look at FLO and see there are different styles of prism porroprism and roof-prism. Am I right in thinking that the porroprism are "better", I don't really undestand the difference at this stage.

Also, I don't really have any idea about which brands are good/better. I thought I best get a bit of an idea rather than basing it purely on the pricetag. Is it very much the case, as always to be expected, that you get what you pay for? My budget for now is around the £250 mark, although that's not to say it couldn't be pushed a little, nor is it to say I'd be too upset if I got some change out of that :)

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers

Stevp

I've been having a look at FLO and see there are different styles of prism porroprism and roof-prism. Am I right in thinking that the porroprism are "better", I don't really undestand the difference at this stage.
See http://binocularsky.com/binoc_basics.php#4

In your position, I'd probably get this:

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p1403_TS-10x50-MX---Marine-Binocular----shock-and-water-resistant.html

Archived