NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Next Scope?

Hi everybody,

I have a Celestron 130EQ, which is serving me pretty well and over the past year I have learned a lot. One thing I have learned is that seemingly no one scope is good at everything - at least not in my budget band! (£200 -£250 at a big pinch including a star diagonal if needed) I'll expand on my thinking.

I am really enjoying more and more looking at the moon in as much detail as I can. I also like star clusters particularly open ones like the double cluster. The two interests do not dove tail especially well. I've thought of getting a 102 Mak which I think would sit well on my modified more stable CG3/Skywatcher mount/tripod. The much longer focal length/FRatio would go well with my 25/15/9 mm plossls and would be great for moon watching, but this by defintion would give a very narrow field of view. (yes I know I want it all)

Probably the most sense would be to upgrade to a 6"Dob - it really does make sense - given that I live a 1000 feet up in the pennines away from the worst, but not all of the light pollution that plagues us. However, I really like the slowmo control that the tracking on my EQ mount gives, especially when tracking the moon, which at higher mags is so useful. I really cannot afford a 150 Reflector on the kind of mount it deserves ie EQ5. (I have discovered that a good stable non-marginal mount is a must)

I have really chewed over a refractor - 4" achro would do (maybe even the 3.5) but not sure I can live with something a yard long. A 100 mm Apo would be great but too many pennys -even secondhand.

One idea that keeps coming round is a TAL1. This would in some ways be a backward step - but I have this gut feeling this is the way to go. 805/F7.3 seems like a nice balance; good optics, good stable mount - that I could probably also mount the 130 Ota on. I find it kind of appealing but is 4.3" enough?

I'm not expecting anyone to make my mind up for me - but a bit of experience in this kind of area would be great. Any thoughts on the TAL1? Suggestions?

Lie in a dark room - take a tablet for the headache - Mak/Apo/Dob/Reflector ??? - my brain hurts.

Hi

I have the 130P and the 102 MAK which I use on a Synscan AZ mount.

The 102 gives great views of the moon Jupiter and Saturn and is also good for doubles - no diffraction spikes.

In your budget range And given your interests I'd say the little MAK would be ideal and would sit well on your current mount.

Hope this helps

Paul

Archived