NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Decent upgrade? Astromaster 130eq to Meade ETX 125 PE ????

I have a Celestron Astromaster 130eq at the moment and I have around £600-£700 to spend on a new scope. I have seen the Meade ETX 125 PE for £649 and was wondering whether anyone thinks this will be a decent upgrade.

I also saw the Meade Lightbridge 10" Dobsonian for just over £600 but was advised against this as I am keen to start Astro-imaging and this scope is not ideal apparently.

My current scope is worth around £130 and the ETX is £649. Is that just because of the auto star features and controls? I'm not too fussed about all the technology. I'd prefer to spend my money on the scope quality. That's why I also looked at the Lightbridge.

Any suggestions or maybe other scope recommendations given my budget?

Thanks guys & gals ! :grin:

For lunar and planetary imaging (with a high-frame rate camera such as a webcam), a long focal length is good. Something like a Mak or an SCT. However, these are not so good for DSO's as they are quite slow scopes. If you think you are likely to want to try your hand at DSO imaging as well, then maybe a newt would be a better option, something like a 150p or 200p. There are no jack-of-all trades when it comes to planetary/DSO imaging but arguably a newt comes closest.

Neil Philips on SGL uses I believe a 10" newt for his amazing planetary images, but a scope that size would require a very serious mount. For imaging you would need a driven EQ mount to avoid field rotation, although this is less of an issue for high frame-rate imaging of the planets etc. If you wanted to to stay small, you may get away with an EQ32 or an EQ5. If you decide to build-in some future-proofing, then you may prefer an HEQ5.

Don't forget about the secondhand market. You can easily make your money go further by buying used kit. As a rule astronomers look after their kit and many here on SGL buy and sell second hand all the time.

Edit: Typo Urgh!

If you're serious about dabbling in AP, read Steve's book "Making Every Photon Count" before you commit to buying any kit. It's an excellent read for those interrested in astro imaging, and may help you to avoid making costly purchasing mistakes. Well worth it. You can get it from FLO.

http://www.firstligh...e-richards.html

Edit:Gah! another typo :D

Archived