NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M42 / M43 observing tips pless

Hello all. I had a great observing session last night sitting out in the cold (extra socks next time)...

I started off with Jupiter and enjoyed the beautiful disc, making out two clear bands, and of course the four Galilean moons. I then moved on to M37 in Auriga, and was impressed with the sprinkling of stars that filled my eyepiece. I then moved back to Jupiter (couldn't resist it!) and then on to Orion as it rose above neighbouring houses.

In particular I was looking at the Orion nebula (M42) but didn't have much time to look at it. I was looking at it with 45x magnification and could see definite shape to the nebulosity. I was wondering though if anyone can point me towards some good images of what I might expect to see through the eyepiece, as the images I have found are either Hubble, or other decent photographs, and I can't quite relate what I see through the eyepiece to those. In particular, I was hoping to make sure what I thought was the Trapezium actually was, and look fo any tips in recognising M42/M43 distinction.

Thanks for any pointers you can give.

Here is a sketch I did from Quedgeley back in Feb. This was on a good dark night using a 10" Dob, a nice eyepiece and UHC filter.

Thanks Rik, that's really helpful. Shows some extra 'wisps' that I didn't see last night in my 4.5" telescope, but matches well with what I saw.

Silly question, but where does the distinction between M42/M43 lie?

Thanks very much :)

M42 is the large section of emission nebula and M43 is the small reflection nebula that appears at the "bottom" in a telescope but is in fact above the main nebula.

Here is a CCD image of M42, including M43, with an Apogee AP-7 CCD camera and 12-inch Meade LX200. RGB image, exposed 10 x 30 seconds in Morocco several years ago.

m42.jpg

Archived