NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How should I get more serial ports

Well my Tak EM200 has arrived and it's lovely. It doesn't have a goto handset but works from a computer using a serial port. Nick Hudson at Trutek included a great deal on his supaslim filter wheel which also uses a serial port. Fortunately my SXV camera just uses a USB but my adaptive optics unit also needs a serial port. Since the AO will mainly be used with the NS8 on it's wedge it is unlikely that I will ever need more than 2 serial ports but you never know. My laptop has 2 USB and 1 serial port. So, is it possible to get 3 serial ports. Do I need to get a USB hub and 2 extra USB to serial adapters or what?

Any advice much appreciated.

Coincidently MB, our friend Lidl are selling a 5 port USB Powered Hub next week. Should be sufficient for your needs.

It is very reasonable price too, as is most of what they sell. I am waiting for the Bresser Binos reappearing in their store.

You will still need to get serial adaptors though. Seems a bit odd to me, that modern equipment is coming with DB9 ports, when most laptops

Don't have them, and most desktops only usually have one. Or am I flying a kite here?

Ron. :D

Archived