Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First attempt at Jupiter and Orion Nebula

Was in a light polluted area but very pleased with the outcome considering!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/78884043@N03/

All I was doing was using a T-ring to attach the camera directly to the telescope, no lenses, filters etc.

I was wondering if anyone could help me develop this further though. I would love more zoom in the photos and also a way to filter out more light (for example, Jupiter was very bright with only a one second exposure).

I have a Skywatcher Explorer 200P with synscan/tracking. I've got a 10mm, 25mm and barlow lens. I also have a Canon 550D.

I have very limited knowledge as I'm learning slowly about all the telescope bits and pieces, but can anyone help me work on my photography? I'm not looking to use a webcam because I have a macbook pro and it seems the only viable option would be to partition my hard drive to be able to use the software etc with my Mac, to be honest I'm not keen on this idea.

Can I used lenses with the t-ring? Can I use filters such as neutral density filters (for cameras) on the telescope to help me reduce light pollution?

Any tips are really appreciated, preferably simply explained with any links to examples would be great. Thank you!

I have kind of the same setup as you - an 8" dob, Canon 550D, etc. I never had much luck with Jupiter but my scope is a push-to, so you may fare better.

I don't know about filters, but your exposure is too long. Set your camera to manual mode and drop your exposure - maybe to 1/60 or even lower until you get a shot that's not overexposed.

I used to even change the exposure compensation on my Canon (the Ev setting) to -5 to lower the exposure further to get more detail, but I imagine if you just set your shutter speed fast enough you should get something.

On that camera Jupiter is going to be tiny. On my ED80 I use a couple of 2x Barlows to lower my f-stop and magnify. But I think you'd need to buy an eyepiece projection tube to use Barlpws with your current setup.

Let me know if I can answer any more questions on this topic. Had plenty of experience - and failures - trying to image Jupiter. :)

This is what I bought (I have the U.S. version of the U.K. 200p dob):

http://www.telescope.com/125-Orion-Universal-Camera-Adapter/p/101418.uts?keyword=Eyepiece%20projection

But I must warn you: the 25mm eyepiece supplied with my scope is too long to fit and still connect the camera. Fortunately I had a 10mm Plossl that was short enough to fit.

I was never able to focus with my dob because I had trouble keeping Jupiter in the field of view long enough for that, but sounds like yours has tracking.

post-25905-135475690208_thumb.jpg

Archived