Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astronomy learning tools

Budding Star Gazer

after just taking and failing the sky at night quick quiz a few threads down i was wondering what other people use to learn their way around the night sky.

i guess this is for us noobs but the more advanced are more than welcome to add their tips.

mine are: ( i hope it's ok to use brand names if not then please edit )

the philips guide to stars & planets.

a planisphere.

atlas of the universe by sir patrick moore.

stellarium software, a free download.

the pocket universe app on a well known smart phone, has a star & constellation quiz.

the more advanced may think it's not much cop but the dummies guide to astronomy.

feel free to add.

Simple book, a glp and binoculars.

Book to give the constellation and what is in them, GLP so I can talk myself through them and the binoculars to have a better look and hopefully make things out.

Working out how to locate M31 is one thing, managing to see a faint mess in binoculars confirm you have it right, similar with the double cluster, M54 (easy) and M42 when it creeps up.

Main one is a book that you can follow. The dummies guide is too big, the app I have no idea if it helps, planisphere shows the constellations but but too much else.

Tried the test got 14/20 but wasn't sure of it as it used quite a few constellations that are modern and not commonly referenced.

Archived