Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OAG advice

Can anyone recommend a decent Off Axis Guider package, i.e one that includes a guide camera as well? As an alternative I've seen this one:

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Orion_Magnificent_Mini_AutoGuider_Package.html

which replaces the finderscope, but I'm unsure whether it will work with my HEQ5.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm fed up being limited to 1 minute subs with my DSLR!

The first one you mention (Orion) would work fine with your HEQ5 although it is not, of course, an off axis guider.

With regard to the SynGuider, it certainly works but IMHO, you would be better served with a normal guide camera with guiding software.

You could use an off axis guider with your HEQ5 and 200PDS but be aware that there are backfocus issues with Newtonians so your choice would be very limited. It is doable though using something like the TS 9mm guider which is very short in length which helps.

Archived