Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

550D Movie crop mode NTSC or PAL

libraryman

Last night i took the oportunity to try out my 550D imaging Jupiter for the first time in the crop mode.

There are two option NTSC or Pal

Ntsc gives 640 @ 60fps and Pal gives 640 @ 50 fps.

Is one choice preferable over the other for imaging Jupiter.

Can i use either with out creating processing problems

Ray

Why such low resolution? 550D can do 60fps at 720p as well.

But it comes down to shutter speed and how bright the object is. For example at day time when recording a video the rule of thumb is to make the shutter speed double then the fps so at 24fps you'd use 1/50s speed. That is because you want some blurriness to make frame to form transition smoother of moving objects and such.

With astro you don't want that blur so a faster shutter speed should be used.

Now if you want to take a vid of the Moon then at 60fps with 1/250s would probably be plenty bright but for fainter stuff you might need to go down to 30fps at 1/150 or even slower. The whole PAL/NTSC thing doesn't matter, just use whichever you want depending on fps you want.

NOTE: I have never experimented with video DLSR stuff but if I had a scope to do it it's thow I would go about it.

Hi and thanks for the reply, as i understand it, the movie crop mod is the way to go as apparently it gives 1.1 resolution thats my understading at he moment but as i said it is the 1st time i have tried it and that was the advice from a reputable source.

However it's about learning and i'm not fully conversant with the options.

on my main point, thanks for the comment on NTSC and PAL, glad i can use either.

Ray

Archived