Christmas gift help

My wife and I want to get our kids a telescope for Christmas. My wife has always wanted a telescope and I’ve had interest since collage where I took an astronomy class. Are children are 3, 5, and 6. And we would like to get them something they can grow into. We live in rural Maine. We would like to keep the price at around 200 dollars. The more research I do the less I know so I was hoping I could get some help here. Here are three telescopes I’m looking at.

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-31051-AstroMaster-130EQ-Telescope/dp/B0013Z42AK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_7CHTqb0PC7DQ9_lm

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-31042-AstroMaster-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B000MLL6R8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_JQrTqb0P5JHCV_lm

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-31045-AstroMaster-Reflector-Telescope/dp/B000MLL6RS/ref=cm_sw_em_r_dp_fPrTqb1F9J15K_lm

These are Celestron telescopes on amazon…I’m not in love with any of these they just seem like ok deals. I did read that Orion is a good brand but it seems like the Celestron’s are marked down more. Any advice would be very helpful.

Is it your kids who want a telescope or you? :D

Seriously though, if they have shown interest in astronomy then they may appreciate a telescope that doesn't look the part (Like the Newts). But if a kid wants a telescope then s/he is probably thinking af a refractor.

I recommend the Sky_Watcher Mercury707.

Its a typical 70mm refractor and it was my first telescope. A brilliant scope that gives you great views for the price plus it's capable of afocal astrophotography.

Don't just take my word for it though. I'm sure more experienced members have a better idea than I do.

P.S You may want to look at books as well.

The Celestron models that you mention are good first scopes and will probably be more useful to grow into than a small refractor - though having said that, the small refractor will be good as a starter (easier to use the a reflector). Good luck with your purchase and welcome to SGL

With 200 dollars you can buy a Celestron Astromaster 70 eq, I'ts a nice telescope that you will never want to get rid of even if you buy a bigger one in the future. It will clearly show Jupiter's belts, Saturn's rings, Venus' phases, lots of details on the Moon and some of the brightest Messier objects, besides it comes with an Equatorial mount that will help you to easily track an object through the sky

But as said before, maybe you should wait for more opinions beacuse what I said it's just my opinion

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-21062-AstroMaster-Refractor-Telescope/dp/B000MLL6QE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1354119423&sr=8-5&keywords=astromaster+90eq

Reflectors are better but they require maintenance (at leats mor than refractors). I have the Astromaster 130 and it's a really nice telescope. But it has a lot of light gathering power so you might need to buy some good eyepieces instead of the ones included with the scope. If you will buy a reflector buy the 130 beacuse 114mm is not a nice aperture for a reflector

You will need to learn how to align it (wich from my pont of view, is no big deal) and how to collimate it (wich can be a bit difficult the first time you do it but then you'll find it easier and easier)

Reflectors are better but they require maintenance (at leats mor than refractors). I have the Astromaster 130 and it's a really nice telescope. But it has a lot of light gathering power so you might need to buy some good eyepieces instead of the ones included with the scope. If you will buy a reflector buy the 130 beacuse 114mm is not a nice aperture for a reflector

You will need to learn how to align it (wich from my pont of view, is no big deal) and how to collimate it (wich can be a bit difficult the first time you do it but then you'll find it easier and easier)

least* more* jeje

The reflector, especially your third choice will show you more, as it has better light gathering capacity (larger objective). Not as easy to use as a refactor, but something the kids can grow into. The only thing about these starter scopes is that the mount is not always as sturdy as one would wish for, but it's a great place to start to nurture an interest. Good value from Amazon I think. All the best with your choice!

I would choose number 3 from your list. I think a small (90mm) refractor would be very simple to set up and use, but the kids will outgrow it much more quickly than the 130 reflector, so, if you are prepared to have a go at an occasional bit of collimation (not difficult at all really) then definately go for the 130 reflector.

If you do go for a refractor, I think that Freddy meant to link to this one http://www.amazon.co...stromaster 90eq

CW

P.S I just wanted to point out that the picture of Jupiter shown on the above link is totally unrealistic, so don't expect to see it in that size. The other pics are ok though ;)

This is a tricky one because ultimately you want the scope that is going to reveal views that are going to be interesting enough to capture their interest now and for potentially the longer term.

The refractor design has advantages in that it is intuitive to use (...just point it in the direction of the target) and of course does not require collimation (not difficult, but it is something else that needs monitoring) and also any cool down time to allow the scope to reach thermal equilibrium. Having argued the refractor's corner, I must remind myself that you are attempting to also satisfy chidrens' interest in the night sky and therefore it is difficult to argue against reflectors' main advantage being that for similar money they provide a lot more aperture aperture, which translates as the ability to provide detail from the extra light gathering ability that reflectors and their mirrors are able to achieve at any given price point. Robin's point above regarding the mount's lack of rigidity is a known problem, although as the proposed setup is for children, this can be mitigated slightly by reducing the centre of gravity (e.g lowering the mount's height) and by the possibility of attaching some king of weight to the eyepiece tray. Celestron reflectors at this price range also suffer from the use of an ineffective red dot finder which should in theory allows you to easily align the scope to a given target. However, the ones used by Celestron are awkward to adjust and being far too bright, will spoil the eye's ability to adjust to the night sky - important for discerning finer details. If you can find one with an optical finder than that would be better or if not perhaps a similar product by Orion that does. Both types of scope (refractor and reflector) will come with useable eyepieces and perhaps a book like, "Turn Left At Orion" would be a useful add on in order to provide you with some targets (...other than planets and the moon) to find with your chosen scope. This book comes with lots of info about each target along with a written guide on how to find the object and maps to illustrate those directions further.

Perhaps you might want to test your children's interest in the night sky by downloading a free piece of planetarium software called "Stellarium" which you can view here. It can be configured from your exact viewing location so as to provide you all with an exact same sky that you can from your back yard. The planetarium sky appears in real time (in actually moves with objects appearing above and disappearing below the horizon) and has amongst many of its great features, an advance date/time facility to allow you to 'advance' the night sky to see when objects are going to appear - particularly useful for the 'little people' when they might have school the next day and you know Saturn is going to show up till 11:30pm! :grin:

In conclusion I would go for the reflector, keep the whole kit low down with the book or Stellarium at your side to help you find some great views! Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Is Celestron a good brand? It seamed like you get good bang for your buck..But I don't know enouph about them to know for sure. Why the 130eq instead of the 13oeq md ? 1st one listed vs. third. Are they the same just one has a motor and one dosin't?

I have no experience of using that brand of scope but the red dot finder that is positioned on top of the scope looks a lot better than the celestron variety. In fact on closer inspection, I have discovered that it is in fact an "Orion EZ Finder II Reflex Sight" which has a dimmable red dot which is what all red dot finders should have and certainly looks a little more straightforward to align with the main scope. You can examine in more detail the instructions on how this particular product works and its features by using the link here. The scope also comes with Starry Night planetarium software which is probably a bit better than "The Sky Level I" planetarium that comes with the celestron, though of course you could just download "Stellarium" which is great to use and it's free.

Clear skies

James

One thing that nobody has mentioned, but I can testify to having started my kids looking through my scope when they were pretty small is height!

The major problem you will have with kids as small as yours is that with the Newtonian types you are looking at the eyepiece is going to be a long way above the ground and your small ones may not be able to see though it without some assistance! At the very least you will be holding them up whilst they squint through the eyepiece, or you will need a small stepladder or box for them to stand on (and keep moving it as you repoint the scope at new things).

A fairly equivalent model to the Orion you have linked above is this Dobsonian I have linked for you. It is a bit over your $200 budget, but not much. The eyepiece will be nearer the ground, more bending for you but the larger kids would not need to be perched precariously high to see through it. Bear in mind though that whilst it has the same aperture (mirror size) at 4.5 inches, it is a much longer focal length (i.e. magnifies more) so things will be fainter, but larger (and if you are mainly looking at the moon and planets that is actually not a bad thing):

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-SkyQuest-Classic-Dobsonian-Telescope/dp/B0000XMSNO/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1354208983&sr=1-4&keywords=orion+dobsonian+telescope

It is also a much simpler mount to set up and use both for beginner adults and also for kids; you could certainly let your kids drive a dob as they get a couple of years older, but I think a german equatorial mount is going to be beyond most kids until they get to the age of 12 or more.

Archived