Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Where can I find an adaptor for "banana" plugs

I've just bought a Gerd Neumann light box, from Germany, for taking flats with my astro-imaging work. It came with banana plugs which are commonly used in Germany, you'll see in the photo below that the banana plugs have a raised edge on one side of the plug to presumably slide into a special type of connector with a hole & small slot above it.

I'm looking to convert these banana plugs into either a cigarette style adaptor end, or alternatively an adaptor that is compatible with a standard main --> 12V transformer that is used on a lot of scopes for power supply, which I think has a regular 2.1mm tip. I popped into Maplin's this morning and talked to their techy guy but he said they had nothing and all he could suggest was cutting off the banana plugs are re-wiring/soldering into a cigarette adaptor. I'd prefer not to do this though if possible - hence my query whether there is an adaptor you can buy that will convert banana plugs into something like what I mention above.

Any advice/help here would be appreciated, thanks,

Martin

post-7944-0-15482300-1353769558_thumb.jp

I don't know of anyone who makes what you are looking for. However if you're feeling a bit "handy" it would be a couple of hours work to make your own.

These "banana" plugs are a standard 4mm size and are designed to connect to readily available (even Maplin stock them) sockets, like these. What I'd suggest is getting a couple of sockets (red and black), a small plastic enclosure a couple of inches on a side and a car cigarette plug+wire.

You could take out a second mortgage or cash in your pension and buy the parts from Maplin, or you could go mail-order to somewhere like Bitsbox and save money - even with P&P added in.

Tip, if you want to stop accidents, add a diode rated at a few Amps into the "red" lead of your banana plug. That will prevent damage if the plugs are inserted into the wrong sockets.

Archived