Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Double cluster confusion

Vince1963

Hi SGL fans.

My Star gazing session actually started last night. After again another discussion with someone, having mentioned i managed to see M51 whirlpool in Ursa major i thought i'd try and spot M101 which is also in Ursa major. Well after some time and without success i gave up on it and i decided to draw my attention to Cassiopeia (maybe the light just wasn't right for M101).. anyway I spotted what i thought was M103 to start with but after checking my sketch actually turned out to be NGC 663, Which really took me by surprise as i thought M103 would have been much more visible( maybe you guys can confirm this). But when i looked again i could just make out M103 close to Cas delta ( i confess i had to look that one up). But what confused me was the Double cluster NGC869 and NGC884 (which is easy to spot), I thought they where in the constellation of Cassiopeia but actually turned out to be in Perseus, I found this out after returning in doors to read up about them. Well any way here i am again this morning, I got up early because i wanted to have another go at spotting M101 but again it alludes me. But i can still go straight to M51, What's all that about... LOL. Anyway i did get to see the ISS again it made its way West to East (close to the Ecliptic) at approx 5:18am (by my watch). so not all was lost :smiley:

I think Vince, that you probably know more about searching the sky than most on here - I know that for myself, although I am familiar with all the objects you mention, I doubt I'd stand a hope in hell of finding them through a pair of binos... I'm afraid to say that after my first few scopes (back in the days when the dark lord ruled the land) I got a go-to and that although I could probably still find most things (or at least know I'm in the right area) using a dew-softening poorly printed sheet of paper printed from some online sky chart, it's sooo much easier just to highlight it in stellarium and hit Ctrl+1, lol.

I have to say, though, that the idea of a decent sized pair of bines, a recliner and maybe a nice single malt is very appealing....

It's an interesting read - thanks for posting :)

Andy

The double cluster used to be commonly known as h and chi Persei - which is a bit of a give-away for it's location.

You are doing well to catch M51 in binoculars - I would have thought that you ought to be able to see M101 too - but it is more extended, and somewhat lower surface brightness, so might be difficult to pick out without the best of skies.

Callum

Thanks for that Andy.. I wouldn't say my knowledge is that good.. But i think i have the knack when it comes to using the old Bins lol, And i do have a pretty good site where i live, which is a tremendous help.. The Idea of a nice scotch and recliner does sound good to me too lol... Thanks again for your kind words ..Vince :icon_salut:

The double cluster used to be commonly known as h and chi Persei - which is a bit of a give-away for it's location.

You are doing well to catch M51 in binoculars - I would have thought that you ought to be able to see M101 too - but it is more extended, and somewhat lower surface brightness, so might be difficult to pick out without the best of skies.

Callum

Hi Callum.. I was hoping to have a go at M101 this morning, But as usual it is persistently raining again...lol. I do agree with you, I thought i would have been able to spot it, as all the other objects where good.. I haven't given up on it yet though, I will get it eventually.. Vince :icon_salut:

I think you should just make sure you're in the right spot and then look for a star that's a little fuzzy round the edges - it has a bright but small core and as Callum says, otherwise a low surface brightness - I'm sure that once you know where it is, more detail will become apparent :)

M101 needs to be high in the sky from a dark location. It's very faint and 'soft' looking. This isn't the optimal time of year, really. When you're in the right area make small movements with the instrument back and forth. The eye is good at catching movement and this often makes faint things pop.

Olly

Pre-dawn M101 will have a pretty decent altitude of 50 degrees or more - so not too badly placed - the Moon will become more of a problem over the next few days, though.

Callum

Hi Callum... That is when i've been trying to see it lol... been getting up at between 4am and 5am... As i say i will get it one of these days lol.. :smiley:

Archived