Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First Light with Opticron Aspheric 8x42

Steve777

Hello All

Tonight was my first use of these excellent bins. Went out at first around 9pm ish & looked at moon crisp & so on, but think I'll need a monopod! Anyway, got M31 despite moonlight; also M45, beautiful, as was the other Gemini cluster. Looked for M35 but couldn't really see it, only a hint but was not dark adapted in the eyes & haven't been eating carrots. No hint of Auriga clusters, but took me back to childhood in revealing sheer number of stars as I swept the sky. Jupiter's moons apparent though planet glare was bright

Anyway, came back out after midnight & wow! Seeing had improved, best this season. Leaning against the wall (and kid's swing) to steady myself, I looked again at the Pleiades, lovely sight. Now there was a hint of M35 in Gemini & I looked too at Auriga and a hint of the clusters was apparent. Looked to Orion and what looked like two stars surrounded by haze was what M42 looked like (impressive amount of the constellation in the view, though). Made out the double cluster & swept Perseus and Cass which seemed lovely. Also a glimpse of the Beehive. I was again not really dark adapted but these are a capable instrument. With anyhing other than South facing out of the picture due to light pollution, I brought out the scope and had a good session.

Satisfied with these bins, though I think I need to steady them for maximum use (even if they are low power!). The pinpoint stars have already convinced me my next scope is to be a refractor!!

Steve

Archived