Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Finderscope on ST80 OTA

Yes you can, but with the short focal length of an ST80, its almost a big finder itself.

I don't use an optical finder with mine. I have stuck a Rigel QuikFinder onto the dew shield instead. Even with a 10mm eyepiece I don't miss having an optical finder.

I would have thought a red dot finder plus a low power eyepiece would be all you need. With a 32mm plossl the scope becomes a 12.5 x 80 finder with a 4 degree field of view - thats as much as some 8x50 finders have.

I use the supplied rdf with mine - it's not brilliant and looks a bit naff - but it does work. I wouldn't waste my money if I were you unless you need a better finder to share with another more substantial scope - then you can just swap over depending which you're using at any one time. :)

Thanks folks. I hate red dot finders after the abysmal one on an Astromaster I bought a year ago and sold very soon after.

I have a spare 9 x 50. Still toying with making that into a finder/guider on the 200p or getting the ST80. Oh hum - choices ;-)

Then a spare scope is always a good idea anyways hehe.

My mind is almost made up :-)

....Thanks folks. I hate red dot finders after the abysmal one on an Astromaster I bought a year ago and sold very soon after....

Don't base your view of RDF's on that experience the the Astromaster ! - they are well known for having the worst RDF's around - almost unusable. Even the low cost Baader Skysurfer III RDF is in another league entirely compared to the Astromaster's poor excuse for an RDF.

Archived