Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Recommendations for a camera and equipment needed

jon1000

Hi, I would like some recommendations for a camera to use for taking pictures through my telescope.

I have a 130P AZ synscan goto scope, I know that its not the biggest but would like to take some pictures. I think that my scope is not compatible with using a DSLR because of the AZ mount but I was wondering if anyone could confirm this.

If so, would i just use an adapter to hold a compact/bridge camera up to the eyepiece.

Thanks.

Hi

The Canon 1100d is what the community recommends, even though I am a Nikon person, the 1100d will serve you greatly both with AP and for regular photography.

Not sure on how the focuser on the scope would fit a T-2 ring but you should be able to fit it with some kind of small adater in between. My Explorer 150PDS takes a T-2 ring and camera directly on the adapter that came with the scope. I think you might even be able to screw the camera on with help of the barlow that seems bundled in your kit.

The question is I don't know how stable the mount is, if the added weight of the camera would affect the performance of the mount in any way. I get the feeling it will hard with balance.

The big problem you will face is that the mount isn't very solid, and since it is not an EQ mount, you will get field rotation pretty quick, meaning that even if the mount is stable enough to support the camera, the image will start twisting in the FOV due to the mount not turning on the same axis as the sky. With this being said you can take very good pictures of the Moon and maybe Jupiter because of their brightness (bring object = short exposure time).

You can get limited exposure photos for sure, and people have imaged DSO's with similar equipment. It is doable, but it's not recommended as it will be a constant uphill struggle.

Edit: Webcams are lighter (and much cheaper), and you will probably be able to do planetary work with that, much much much easier than DSO's with a DSLR. I cannot really help you there though. But others should be able to lead you down that path, I have no first hand experience myself though.

The problem with a DSLR and an Alt/Az mount is that the idea is to open the shutter and leave it open for some time and an A;t/Az mount moves OK for the eye but incorrectly for the rotation of constellations and so getting an image. So whatever object is in view or being imaged performs a rotation when viewed or imaged by an Alt/Az mount.

When you use an EQ mount this rotates with the sky and there is no apparent rotation of the object being imaged. So you can take a long exposure shots - and no bluring of the image.

When you stick a webcam on you take a movie of many very short period images, so no rotation within each one. Software then puts one on top of another to build the final result.

Archived