NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Beginner help with equipment

Hi, I have decided I want to try and get some pictures of what I see in my telescope. Granted my 130p is not the biggest but I want to still give it a go.

I am new to imaging and would like some advice on what equipment is needed. I have a goto scope that I manage to align very well for tracking, I have 2 different camera adapters to hold the camera to the scope.

I would like a cheap but decent DSLR camera that is capable of having a shutter release attached via a cable or other (Bluetooth etc if it's possible) also any ideas on what lenses or other equipment to get would be appreciated.

Like I have said, I am a complete newbie at imaging and any advice would be fantastic.

Thank you.

Is the mount equitorial or Alt/Az ?

If Alt/Az then generally people use these for planets and attach a webcam, take a movis, then stack the good frames from the .avi file through something like Registax.

An Alt/Az is not suited to long exposures, in simple terms they move up/down and left /right, they do not rotate.

If equitorial then you will need to aligh it very accurately, a lot better then for visual.

You do not generally use a lens, you replace the camera lens with the telescope, so what lens is not applicable. You therefore need an adaptor for the camera to focuser, which depends on the camera purchased. Most go fo a Canon.

Thanks Ronin

I have an az mount on my scope so I guess that buying a DSLR will be pointless?

would this do the trick?

http://www.365astronomy.com/scopiumcam-ccd-planetary-imager-p-2525.html?zenid=3f87e4314e4b5d34501ec45d3132b67f

If so, because registax is included, is that all I would need to buy because it's already fitted with the 1.25" fitting?

Also, would I get decent results from this? I know I don't have the biggest scope etc but will I get some decent pics of andromeda and other like objects? Or will I not be able to use eye pieces with this to get up close to the object?

Thanks for your help.

Thanks Ronin

I have an az mount on my scope so I guess that buying a DSLR will be pointless?

would this do the trick?

http://www.365astron...01ec45d3132b67f

If so, because registax is included, is that all I would need to buy because it's already fitted with the 1.25" fitting?

Also, would I get decent results from this? I know I don't have the biggest scope etc but will I get some decent pics of andromeda and other like objects? Or will I not be able to use eye pieces with this to get up close to the object?

Thanks for your help.

The camera is basically a webcam in a different case (it uses the same sensor as the Toucam Pro ) and is not suitable for DSO imaging. The EQ 130P has a problem getting a DSLR to come to focus, the AZ version of the telescope may also have this same problem which can be resolved by moving the primary mirror up the tube a few centimetres or by the use of a barlow lens. As Ronin pointed out the AZ mount is not ideal for DSO imaging unless you take lots of shorter ( @15 sec ) exposures to minimise field rotation.

As Ronin pointed out the AZ mount is not ideal for DSO imaging unless you take lots of shorter ( @15 sec ) exposures to minimise field rotation.

I always do 30sec without any rotation issues. There are some parts of the sky you can get away with 1min or more. This is more than adequate to do most Messier DSOs.

NigelM

I always do 30sec without any rotation issues. There are some parts of the sky you can get away with 1min or more. This is more than adequate to do most Messier DSOs.

NigelM

Does this mean that I could use a DSLR with my scope then or was that with the webcam?

Thanks

There are certainly some brighter targets that would allow shorter exposures with a DSLR. The main problem I think you'd face using a DSLR on your scope would be focusing, as Cornelius mentioned. Your scope is certainly not alone in this - many newts suffer from a lack of inward focuser travel for DSLR imaging.

Archived