Custom's charges

A particular eyepiece I have been after is currently on EBAY here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tele-Vue-7mm-Nagler-Wide-Field-Excellent-Condition-Made-in-Japan-TeleVue-/300819612016?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460a3f0170 from an American seller. The small print says :International items may be subject to customs processing and additional charges.

International delivery - items may be subject to customs processing depending on the item's declared value.

Has anyone any experience of buying from U.S.? Lots of warnings saying "may" but in reality? For an eyepiece?

Or shall I just purchase in good old rip-off U.K.?

Thanks

A lot depends on the carrier.

The Post Office will charge VAT etc and then add I think an £8 charge for charging you. The USPS hand items over to the Post Office here.

If I recall VAT should not apply to used goods, but not sure how that works with imported goods so I would assume that they will still manage to charge you it someway.

A simple estimate is expect 25-30% on top of the cost of the item, the cost is a summation of everything paid to get it here, cost of item, cost of postage and cost of insurance as a guide.

The PO go by the EU ruling and apply charges at the minimum for them to be applicable.

If it comes via something like FedEx it will be quicker, and it avoids the PO admin charge, small but may as well reduce everything you can. From past experience FedEx seem to manage to start charging at a higher threshold, although that is not guaranteed and if someone somewhere isn't in a good mood do not expect or rely on it. So could be worthwhile having it sent via FedEx rather then USPS+PO.

You may find that the end price of that one plus the import taxes / handling fees push the final cost close to the cost of a used Nagler 7mm bought in the UK. The one you have linked to is the earlier Type 1 Nagler. The more recent Type 6's have better coatings and eye relief and can be bought used for around £150 in the UK.

I got myself an ES 24mm 68deg EP at sale price from the a retailer in the US. It came to £100 for the item plus £20 Tax plus £8 Royal mail handling charge - all told still cheaper than buying from the UK at the time so it's best to do the maths before taking the plunge

Archived