Is my ED80 worth investing in?

kirkster501

Hi - getting reasonable AP beginner results from my SW ED80. I know that it is a cracking scope and I enjoy it a lot. But I need to make some investments in it. The focuser is hardly the best (two screws to hold camera via T adapter = wobble, for instance :( ) and I need a field flattener. So nigh on £400 worth of stuff there at least (unless anyone says differently which I'd be glad to hear?). And after that £400 it'd "still" only be an ED80 - not being snobby or a badge snob at all - just thinking it through before parting with the hard earned.... Then again take my time, look on ABS for the bits to become available and the ED80 could see me though for a while yet.

So possibly me thinks, what about getting a more up market small refractor now, say a Altair Astro triplet 80mm? The ED80 can then become my wide field on my CPC1100... I am never going to be in the FSQ league alas, i got kids to get through uni.... ! :)

Appreciate thoughts and opinions from the expert community.....

Rgds, Steve

For the UK climate, I'd probably stick with the ED80 honestly, and add a flattener (or flattener/reducer).

If you went narrowband in the future the fact that it's a doublet wouldn't make any difference if you refocus between filter changes.

Well, FWIW I'm sticking with my ED80 and have put my money where my mouth is. Added the SW 0.85x FR/FF and a Baader SteelTrack focuser. I reckon it's a great scope and I'm highly satisfied with it. The glass is superb.

As the owner of a fast 80mm triplet APO who knows lots of happy owners of ED80's, I can say that there's not much in it. The triplet is better at bringing all the colours at once to focus but it doesn't matter much at such a short focal length / wide image scale. And also, a lot of things like blue halos can be fixed in post processing. Later with narrowband, the differences reduce.

Although I'd rate the view through my triplet as noticeably optically superior, especially when pointed at the moon and star clusters. But you've got a CPC1100 for that, so I doubt that you're missing much.

There's another option though, you might want to consider an upgrade to the SW Equinox and the dedicated SW reducer/flattener that comes with it.

Either way - take it slow, consider getting a field flattener and enjoy your scope safe in the knowledge that there are plenty of people out there happy to take it off you second hand should you wish to upgrade at a later date.

All the best,

Mike

Well guys..... If its good enough for you two experts it's good enough for me ! :) Don't got me wrong, I have most definitely not got more money than sense ! (I wish i did). Just trying to spend wisely and carefully and not investing in something that I woudl grow out of. Sounds like that will not happen for a while yet from what you are saying!

Brilliant, thanks again.

Rgds, Steve

Well, FWIW I'm sticking with my ED80 and have put my money where my mouth is. Added the SW 0.85x FR/FF and a Baader SteelTrack focuser. I reckon it's a great scope and I'm highly satisfied with it. The glass is superb.

Could you tell me which FR/FF and focuser please Gina. How do you get the FF spacings correct please?

Steve

Could you tell me which FR/FF and focuser please Gina. How do you get the FF spacings correct please?

Steve

I got the Skywatcher .85x Reducer/Flattener for ED80 as shown in this page on FLO of the ED80 I've got :- http://www.firstlightoptics.com/pro-series/skywatcher-evostar-80ed-ds-pro-ota.html

An adapter is required to suit whichever camera you use - I got the Canon EOS version :- http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/skywatcher-dslr-m48-ring-adapter.html

Focuser was the Baader SteelTrack :- http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-steeltrack-focusers/baader-steeltrack-rt-refractors.html

Plus the FLO adapter to use the SW FR/FF :- http://www.firstlightoptics.com/adaptors/flo-adapter-for-skywatcher-focal-reducers.html

As for spacing - this is automatically correct using the M48 to camera adapter.

Thanks Gina. What does the FLO adapter do please, cannot fathom that one out? Why does the FF/FR not screw directly onto the focuser tube of the telescope?

Steve

It does with the Skywatcher focuser as supplied but the SteelTrack needs an adapter.

Archived