Dewy eyepiece

I don't have too much trouble with dew on mirrors but I do manage to get the eyepiece huffed up. What's the best way to clear it? When the question of cleaning EPs comes up, the advice seems to be not to wipe with your handkerchief, but it's so tempting when you've just got everything lined up and find you're looking through ground glass :shocked: .

I'm sure this must have come up before but I couldn't find a previous post.

Thanks

Jason

Just blow them with a bulb blower Jason. A few seconds and they're dew free again.

Thanks for that. I was thinking of getting a hair drier or some other sort of blower. It never occured to me that a bulb blower would do. I've got one sitting in my EP box all the time. Doh :rolleyes:

Even easier - place the unused (at the time) EPs in a pocket. Your body heat will delay dewing for a short time as you alternate EPs at the scope. Place only one in each pocket to prevent them from damaging each other. Yes, NEVER wipe EP optics. Their coatings can be removed easily by doing this.

Keeping one in each pocket is the best way as has been mentioned, and make sure your pocket is really clean of grit, in case one of the caps comes off, they are never a good fit, or keep it in a bolt case. You possibly will want to clean the optics every now and then, the Baader Wonder fluid is very popular and well worth the outlay :)

John.

Keeping one in each pocket is the best way as has been mentioned, and make sure your pocket is really clean of grit, in case one of the caps comes off, they are never a good fit, or keep it in a bolt case. You possibly will want to clean the optics every now and then, the Baader Wonder fluid is very popular and well worth the outlay :)

John.

Better not use the pocket I keep my Werthers Originals in :eek:

(seriously, thanks for advice)

Jason

Archived